pro 5.0 shifter diagram

• Sponsors (?)

First, when you are removing the OEM shifter, you may need to give it a little motivation as the sealant tends to glue the shifter in place. After removing the bolts, if the shifter doesn't want to separate from the trannie, grab a piece of wood and a hammer and give it a couple gentle whacks. A dead blow hammer also works. Avoid using a regular hammer alone or you may cause shifter or transmission damage.
The plastic 'cup' (I suppose that is what you are referring to) goes on the bottom of the shifter ball - that sits in the transmission in a shaft with a similiar sized 'cup'. The shifter ball, with the cup attached (it snaps onto the ball), fits down into the 'cup' in the above mentioned shaft.
You'll want to clean the mating surface very well. (I'm talking about where the shifter attaches to the transmission) Clean that metal surface of the transmission well, but be careful not to get the stuff you clean off down into the transmission. Take your time. Then apply a thin bead of RTV sealant. The RED stuff is what you'll want to use. It's able to withstand high temps. Don't use too much of it or it'll squeeze out and into the transmission. An alternative is to use a gasket - Stang Shifter Gaskets . You can avoid any worries about using RTV sealant if you use one of these gaskets.
Install the new shifter with the plastic cup attached to the shifter 'ball' as described above.
Don't overtighten the bolts that connect the shifter to the transmission. Tight, but don't crank too hard on em. (You'd surely rather have a little leak than a broken bolt, right?)
Also, there is a write-up here on StangNet - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Install - StangNet - The Mustang Network
Best of luck.

First, when you are removing the OEM shifter, you may need to give it a little motivation as the sealant tends to glue the shifter in place. After removing the bolts, if the shifter doesn't want to separate from the trannie, grab a piece of wood and a hammer and give it a couple gentle whacks. A dead blow hammer also works. Avoid using a regular hammer alone or you may cause shifter or transmission damage.
The plastic 'cup' (I suppose that is what you are referring to) goes on the bottom of the shifter ball - that sits in the transmission in a shaft with a similiar sized 'cup'. The shifter ball, with the cup attached (it snaps onto the ball), fits down into the 'cup' in the above mentioned shaft.
You'll want to clean the mating surface very well. (I'm talking about where the shifter attaches to the transmission) Clean that metal surface of the transmission well, but be careful not to get the stuff you clean off down into the transmission. Take your time. Then apply a thin bead of RTV sealant. The RED stuff is what you'll want to use. It's able to withstand high temps. Don't use too much of it or it'll squeeze out and into the transmission. An alternative is to use a gasket - Stang Shifter Gaskets . You can avoid any worries about using RTV sealant if you use one of these gaskets.
Install the new shifter with the plastic cup attached to the shifter 'ball' as described above.
Don't overtighten the bolts that connect the shifter to the transmission. Tight, but don't crank too hard on em. (You'd surely rather have a little leak than a broken bolt, right?)
Also, there is a write-up here on StangNet - Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Install - StangNet - The Mustang Network
Best of luck.
Yes, removing the old sealant is key, dont rush yourself and you will have the shifter on in no time.

BTW, did I see you on yesterday on US19 2GTS? I had the Red Convertible GT with Bullitts....