Digital Tuning Problem Geting Zeitronix Zt-3 To Talk To My Laptop

Bill46

Sep 3, 2017
I am trying to tune my 1967 ford 289 air fuel ratio using the zeitronix Zt-3 meter. When I attach the meter to my laptop I get a constant full lean reading of 21!!! Meter is attached according to instructions, black wire is grounded, red goes to switched 12 volts, air fuel sensor hung is located about 1 foot from header, all other connections are plug types which only fit one way. The problem may be that I had to splice the air fuel sensor cable because I melted it on hot exhaust pipe. I am sure the splice was done correctly and it was soldered. I called Zeitronix and they say i need a new cable but before I drop $100 for cable I would like to be sure. Is there any way I can test the individual components of my Zt-3 or does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing a full lean reading on my laptop? I am in CT. Thank you for any responses.
Bill

• Sponsors (?)

I am trying to tune my 1967 ford 289 air fuel ratio using the zeitronix Zt-3 meter. When I attach the meter to my laptop I get a constant full lean reading of 21!!!

Is this with the car on or off? Hooked up with no motor running, it SHOULD peg lean.

Did you go through the calibration of the wide-Band sensor? Can you list those instructions here?

Do you have the documentation in in its entirety in electronic form that you can post here?

Please post an image of this splice and say whether you have a multi-meter on hand to perform tests.

Are you required to pre-load interface drivers to your laptop for USB or a USB to serial converter?

What laptop model and what operating system and version (If you say "MAC", you may need a beat-down. :jester: )?

@jrichker @a91what @hoopty5.0

Last edited:
1. The full lean reading was with motor running and meter connected to laptop.

2. Not sure about calibration. Checking now. Will advise.

3. I do have documentation. Will send a scan this AM in separate post.

4. I do have a multi meter to test the splice. I already confirmed continuity for all six wires between each end of cable. Can not be positive the pins are in the right relationship without another working cable. Will send pic of splice in next post.

5. Not sure about drivers. Will check and respond asap.

6. Laptop is not a Mac so no beat down required. Checking about model and will advis this AM.

Thanks a lot for trying to help me.
Bill

I am trying to tune my 1967 ford 289 air fuel ratio using the zeitronix Zt-3 meter. When I attach the meter to my laptop I get a constant full lean reading of 21!!! Meter is attached according to instructions, black wire is grounded, red goes to switched 12 volts, air fuel sensor hung is located about 1 foot from header, all other connections are plug types which only fit one way. The problem may be that I had to splice the air fuel sensor cable because I melted it on hot exhaust pipe. I am sure the splice was done correctly and it was soldered. I called Zeitronix and they say i need a new cable but before I drop $100 for cable I would like to be sure. Is there any way I can test the individual components of my Zt-3 or does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing a full lean reading on my laptop? I am in CT. Thank you for any responses.
Bill

IMG_2249.JPG
This is the splice at the end of the 10 foot O2 sensor cable. As you can see it is covered in shrink wrap and each of the six wires are soldered and covered with more shrink wrap.

You will need to verify the model number of that sensor and ensure that both, the k\pins are correct, and that sensor resistance is correct.

You should be able to find these things on-line once you have the part number from the sensor.

You will need to verify the model number of that sensor and ensure that both, the k\pins are correct, and that sensor resistance is correct.

You should be able to find these things on-line once you have the part number from the sensor.

My sensor is stamped with number 357 on the bolt and number 007057 on the metal wire housing?? What do i do with these numbers???

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 235
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 200
Unless it uses a system like the AEM units it does NOT self calibrate... if the calibration chip is missing from the sensor connector the sensor is no good. If the wires were shorted (in your case burned) with the sensor powered up the sensor is no good. This type of damage can also affect the control unit itself. I'm gonna say you need a new sensor.

If it comes down to some crazy expensive sensors like some units use (proprietary) I would simply buy a AEM wideband it will come with the software cost is less than 220$ and it's simple to use. I know these work and it's what I recommend for standalone ecu installations. Best part is the AEM units self calibrate and can be free air calibrated after 30k miles to ensure reliable function.

Good luck