• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Problem Replacing Tensioner Pulley

  • Thread starter Thread starter SnakeGang_Red
  • Start date Start date May 8, 2017
S

SnakeGang_Red

New Member
Jan 16, 2017
3
0
1
May 8, 2017
#1
  • May 8, 2017
  • #1
Help guys I have a 97 cobra and I'm Trying to replace my tensioner pulley and can't Figure out how to
Get it off? I've watched videos of others being replaced but mine doesn't have any sort of
Bolt to take off, all mine has is the place for the 1/2 inch pulley pry
Bar piece to take the pulleys off it doesn't have anything else, and I can't find anything on the web about taking these off of cobras. I know I shouldn't have to remove the entire tensioner just to replace the pulley should I? It's starting to get the best of me.
 
Last edited: May 8, 2017

Mattstang04

15 Year Member
Sep 15, 2006
1,152
144
104
St. Louis, MO
May 9, 2017
#2
  • May 9, 2017
  • #2
Taking off the tensioner should only be one bolt. I've never tried taking a pulley of the tensioner. Just replaced the whole thing. Could it be counter threaded or are you not seeing a bolt at all?
 
S

SnakeGang_Red

New Member
Jan 16, 2017
3
0
1
May 9, 2017
#3
  • May 9, 2017
  • #3
Yes I see no bolt at all and Im like how do I get this off lol, it must be a cobra thing bevcsuse I've seen other cars and they have some kind of bolt of some size that is attached to the pulley itself, looks like I may have to take the entire tensioner off to look at it, This is about the only pulley on the whole car that doesn't have a bolt going through the middle where you can take it off at like I said it just has the intention for the 1/2 inch pulley bar.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

B
Tensioner arm bolt
  • brandon4v
  • Jan 14, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
338
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Feb 2, 2026
squeak93
M
Progress Thread mnky99 2001 V6 evap core, ac compressor, heater core replacement
  • mnky99
  • Sep 5, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
643
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 5, 2025
mnky99
M
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
359
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
J
Engine 4.6 Running rough at half throttle
  • jake411
  • Aug 3, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
203
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 4, 2026
jake411
J
H
Strange steering/brake issue
  • Haxmaster
  • Jun 2, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
147
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Jun 3, 2026
squeak93
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?