Problem Suggestions. (new 95 Gt)

TheNudeLion

Jun 14, 2017
Florida
Hello all, I am completely new to the forums and for the most part cars in general. Today I bought my first car which just happened to be an SN95.0 but did not notice some of the issues, with my lack of car knowledge I did not figure any of this out until I was on my way home from the dealer.

Sorry if this was the wrong place to post, I will correct myself if it's an issue.

First of all
: I did not notice this in the test drive, and I was given "control arms" that I can change on the car, but the steering wheel has a pretty extreme amount of give (Maybe a 1-1.5 inches) there is absolutely no steering in that range. Does anyone know if the control arms could really be an issue to that?

Something else that alarmed me and a couple of people I know, this led them to believe there was some deeper issue with the steering wheel or the column. The key can be removed from the ignition at any time, it does not lock in. Meaning if I am driving the car I can just pull the key out of the ignition and the car still runs.

Would anyone have any idea what this could be? If the control arms may help or if there is anything raising a red flag with the key?

My second issue, my radio gets pretty much no signal whatsoever, I do have a second antenna I could try, but was wondering if anyone had some quick ideas, I suspect its possible that the antenna hooked into the back of the head unit (however that works on a car) may have a connection issue.

As someone new to cars if there is anything you dudes could think of for me to look out for i'd be appreciative. Also, don't ask the mileage as the odometer is broken.(indefinitely at about 61,490 miles Lol) Also there is some rusting in the engine, in these places i cannot name because i'm a complete damn rookie.

Thank you whoever looks over this and also to anyone else that has anything to add or suggest.

• Sponsors (?)

Run down to your friendly neighborhood parts store and grab a chilton or hays repair manual for your car, it will help you now and in the future.
Get the front of the car in the air, the steering components will be hard to see with the car on the ground, put jack stands under the control arms, getting squashed under a car in not good thing, if you have car ramps would be better as you should have the weight on the wheels, have someone. Move the steering wheel back and forth and watch your tierod ends, steering rack and rag joint on the shaft for slop. Inspect the bushings and ball joints for wear/excess movement.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey I appreciate the info it's helpful, luckily I was able to get in touch with an old friend that has all the resources available and we spent many hours looking of the thing.

Unfortunately it has a lot of problems and the price I paid for it (3400) after all said and done, I paid way too much and have all sorts of money to dump into it. Do not get me wrong though I love this car.

If I can return it though I will, 2000 next month for it will hurt, when you stack needing to fix the convertible top(I'm more of a hard top person myself but hey) fix some parts of the engine, doing some tranny work, all while not having buyers remorse in Florida. Its too much to deal with.

Time will tell I suppose :dead: I'll be on my way to the auto store to get that book, time for a project and crippling debt.

Thank you for the reply