Problems with Convertible hydraulics/pump?

Will2001GT

Nov 27, 2011
I've found a lot of good threads and information on this topic but I'm just not fully sure what's wrong and what steps I should take to go about fixing it.

I just bought a 2001 GT Convertible a few weeks ago. The only problems I'm having is the drivers side convertible top is leaking somewhere (new weather stripping needed?). I hear this is a common problem. I took the seats out and there is actually a plastic bag covering the amp (it's a premium version with those 2 white amps). Plus the floor was soaked. I don't have a garage to park in so I guess I need a car cover at least.

The top seems fine so I don't think I need to replace it at this point. It looks like a kit is $450 on one site I was looking at and a full hydraulic kit for $579.

So the main issue is I put my top down today and it won't come back up. The passenger's side cylinder appears to be leaking and is covered in crude, the drivers side a little as well. The pump is still making noise but I don't know if that is any assurance that it is still working, but from what I've read the most likely thing is a fluid problem or air in the lines, or the cylinders need replacing.

So should I simply try to find 2 new cylinders and replace them first and see if that corrects the problem? And is ebay the best place to find those? They appear to be $130 or so each.

I figured that might be the best thing to do rather than paying $200 or so for the pump as well if it might not be broken.

My friend is the expert on cars so he said he would help with all the work and for me to just buy the parts. I just wasn't sure if I should try and get some package deal and replace the entire hydraulic system or do it piece by piece.

It seems like there is a fluid leak in the cylinder though. So I'm hoping I will only need to replace both cylinders and put new fluid in (which he said should be easy, as well as replacing the top for a 2001 most likely if I wanted). But the top is in good shape I just don't like the leaking and musty smell it's creating. So I don't know if I need a top or weather stripping. I don't want to go to the Ford place for obvious reasons. I'm hoping for some reassurance that these area's aren't too difficult for a person who has a fair amount of car knowledge. My friend has rebuilt cars from the ground up, just not Mustangs so I'm hoping with some instructions he can catch on quite easily.

I found a manual online I would have to order but do you guys have any links to step by step instructions on how to replace the hydraulic top system? Mainly I need info on changing the cylinders and replacing fluid (and do I need a specific Ford brand name fluid?). I was told to try bleeding it but I honestly don't think the cylinder is shot after looking at it. When I first got the car the drivers side would go up much faster than the passengers side and I would have to get out of the car and pull up the passengers side, then get it all the way up (going down very quickly but taking 30-45 seconds to put the top up.

Thanks for any comments and reading my long post. I'm sure I'll be reading through the forums all night on this :) I am searching and I wasn't sure if I should post this thread but the more I read the more lost I get honestly. I'm pretty ignorant on fixing cars (especially convertibles, this is my first) so my ignorance is giving me a bit of panic as I already went in a small amount of debt buying the car and thoughts of paying thousands to fix this stuff is going to hurt pretty bad. I'm really hoping the parts aren't going to go above $500.

So hopefully 2 new cylinders for $300 or so and some fluid, worst case new motor too for another $250?

Thanks again guys, I REALLY appreciate any guides, instructions, or your insight on this.

Will

• Sponsors (?)

Oh yea, and I was also wondering if for the pump or cylenders if it's worth it even to look for used parts. I'm guessing since the entire system is around $500 it might just be best to buy it new.

I was looking at this package deal here for both the hydraulic system and for tops - 1994-04 Easy Install Ford Mustang Convertible Tops and Convertible Top Parts

It looks like on ebay I can save a few dollars, but would be glad to be referred to a reasonably priced parts store you guys might know of. I'm checking out the vendor page right now. It looks like I'm just going to get the 2 cylinders and if that doesn't work replace the pump. I'm thinking that would be the only 2 things needing replacing since the lines and everything else looks just fine.

wow, these guys have great deals. I was able to buy 2 cylinders for only $139 each - Convertible Tops and Power Window Parts from 1946 - Hydro-E-Lectric

Looks life if I need a motor it's only around $220 as well.

I was looking at used parts but I figure with this sort of thing it's worth paying triple the amount to get a new part, after all the used parts may have leaks themselves or only a year or less of life in them.

All the stuff on that site seems to have a 5 year warranty, the cylinders anyway.

Now if I can only fix my leaking problem to stop the gallon of water from ending up below my back seat after it rains! I hate to buy a new top when this one looks almost new. I think I'll get a waterproof car cover then maybe replace the top when I can find one cheap enough.

I hear leaking is a common problem so I wonder if the new tops have the same issue...