Project custom intercooler (Vortec Novi 2000)

Yellow302

Mar 2, 2003
NJ
Ive been kinda mad that i didnt get a vortec for the air-water cooler, or a ati procharger kit with and inter cooler.

I beleve there is still enough room to add and intercooler but the piping would have to be custom bent. My friend works with tubing and metals all the time and can help.

My first question is that I belive the vortech and novi 2000 can be rotated a pretty good amount which should give me the room i need to pipe in an inter cooler.

I have a 14PSI pully vs the 8lb that I have stock. I am also thinking of buying a blow through maf and a blow off valve instead of having the upgrade the bypass system with bigger hoses and the bypass itself. (but i like the sneeze valve!)

I am currently running a 4" power pipe to the blower which I should be able to keep. Then a 3" from the blower to the TB. I'll have to keep the 3" going to the inter cooler and 3" to the TB to get everything to fit.

So my question is, Has anyone done this before? or Does anyone no a place I can buy the pipe/intercooler/pipebender/couplinks I will need to complete this task.

Everything will be tuned by me once its completed.

• Sponsors (?)

69Clark runs a front mount with his paxton. The vortech intercooler does not and can not fit on our cars, its a fox only piece. Even with the fox TB setup it doesn't fit. There was a thread recently on the corral about this very subject and a few others have done it as well. I too like the blow through idea with a blow off valve, but they can be a little harder to tune around. Keep us updated!

I was considering the air-water intercooler because I have the Fox TB swap, but i would have to rotate the supercharger and then "maybe" it would fit.

But i would rather do a front mount.

I went to corral.net and there are only 24 posts, dont know if i need to sign up or something to see the rest. Everyone here usualy is all I need for help.

When I did mine, I found a custom Speaco intercooler on ebay. I had tabs welded to it and bolted it into the car. Then I bought a big pipe kit off ebay as well and just cut and fabbed as I went with the tubing. With the VR-4 that I am running I didn't have alot of room (as I also had a 4" inlet) but I was able to get everything to fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-UN...tegoryZ33742QQihZ013QQitemZ230095330020QQrdZ1

This is the kind of universal pipe kit I bought. I also purchase like a 4 foot section of aluminum striaght pipe and with all this I had plenty of piping, with some left over to do the job. I also boughts some couplers and 90 degree couples from here:

http://www.hightempsilicone.com/

not sure what you have to do to make it fit with your SC but I didn't know what I would have to do with mine either at the time (no info to research online) but I just dove in to the project and all came out well.

clark i was searching the fourms and found that you had done something similar, thanks for the links.

From the pics ive seen our blowers are in about the same place, if there are any pics around the blower you can link it would be a great help.

I was also wondering what you used for the connecters (weld rings to help hold) or get everything welded.

I bought a 3" pully for about 14LB boost at 5k rpm.