Progress Thread Project PMOR: 97 Saleen S281 #19 build

SorsCode

10 Year Member
Jun 10, 2003
St. Louis, MO
www.sorscode.com
Kevin wasted no time on getting the original rear bumper stripped down and in primer. When I was at the shop, I got to look over the original and compare it to the ones Saleen makes today and I can really see the difference. I'm glad he saved it so I can go back to all original pieces, even if the side skirts are paper thin. I got back home and started my hunt for parts to replace the aftermarket pieces. I knew this was going to be a challenge for some pieces with supply chain was still impacted by COVID and the other was just search for hard to find older parts.

IMG_8396.JPEG
IMG_8397.JPEG
IMG_8593.JPEG
IMG_8594.JPEG
IMG_8595.JPEG
IMG_8609.JPEG
IMG_8610.JPEG

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors(?)

SorsCode

10 Year Member
Jun 10, 2003
St. Louis, MO
www.sorscode.com
While @95steedamustang was back in TN just doing his normal sanding & priming on a non-stop loop, I'm looking for parts. With COVID still causing supply chain issues, it was going to make procuring some Maximum Motorsports (MM) parts fun. While searching the intrawebs for the parts I needed I ran a crossed an interesting ad. Someone selling a roller with MM K-member, MM A-arms, MM Caster/Camber plates. That got my attention. The question is, will community forgive me for parting out a....

IMG_1922.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg
IMG_1923.jpg

Saleen. Yeah I located 1996 Saleen S281 #384. The prior owner was going to turn it into a road race car but ended up just sitting. The car has an 01 Cobra IRS with some upgrades, came with an IRS exhaust setup, fuel interior with some suede racing seats, just no engine or transmission. After a couple months of negotiating we finally settled on a price and I picked it up. I wasted no time pulling the front suspension out of it and putting a stock front suspension out of a 99-04 Cobra back under it in the mean time to keep it a roller. The front suspension setup was on a local forum, guy was moving and didn't want to take it with him, plus it was at my favorite price, FREE. It came complete with calipers and struts. Made for swapping out simple an easy.

When I was picking up the 96 S281 the guy was just loading me up with spare parts. Ended up with a 02+ Interior pieces, Drive shafts (T56 and original T45), Wiring for a 16 valve & 32 valve (car had a 32 valve in it at one point), new graphics kit from Saleen, and a whole lot more. The original LeMans wheels were no where to be found (continue reading), but everything else Saleen wise was still there minus the original front bumper. It was replaced by some cheap urethane bumper that snaps on, for quick release.

Before taking the car to where I stored it, I swung by my house to pick up a few things. I couldn't have been inside for 10 minutes and when I come out there is a guy just looking over this car. He comes up to me asking if I was the owner, and explained to him I just bought it. Here to find out he was the original owner of #384 and he lived right down road from me and he hadn't seen it in years. After talking for a while, he told me to come to his place, he had some stuff that needed to go with the car.

One being all the service history on the car in a large three ring binder while he owned it and the original Saleen Owners manual, but the biggest kicker he still had the original wheels. He put them up and put the newer 99+ Saleen wheels on it to keep the other ones in decent shape.

Don't worry folks, more body work progress updates on the 97 coming soon. Just wanting to take you through the entire journey of building the 97 and who knows maybe if I don't get struck by lightning for taking parts from the 96 maybe another build thread????

IMG_1864.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users