Engine Pulley setup for your water pump

Swhitney

Feb 11, 2019
Oregon City
I assume my water pump is a factory flow, so it should be a reverse flow, correct? I want this to be as clean as possible, but the pulley doesn't have much grip on the water pump pulley.

Photo May 18, 2 08 26 PM.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I assume my water pump is a factory flow, so it should be a reverse flow, correct? I want this to be as clean as possible, but the pulley doesn't have much grip on the water pump pulley.

Photo May 18, 2 08 26 PM.jpg
I ran mine exactly like that for years. Still have the March setup just in case I ever need it again. Zero issues. There was a thread about this a while back. Several folks ran the same. Let it roll.

I think we have a concept and terminology problem. The rotation of the pump is switched, not the flow, right? Going to a serpentine belt reverses the rotation, and so the impeller is different to get the flow to still go in the same direction. That is my understanding on 302’s or SB Chevies.
Some later engines actually cool backwards, but not the 5.0.

You are correct factory is reverse rotation.. The way you have the serp belt routed now will work fine as long as your running an electric fan. I've ran that setup on multiple mustangs for years including a daily driven one. Like mentioned above, if you want the belt to wrap around the pulley for more contact then you'll need to replace your pump with a standared rotation pump