Pullies 101

• Thread starter Deleted member 38176
  • Start date
  • Sponsors (?)

Installed them 4-5 times, 3 on my own cars. I've documented a solid .1-.2 et gain and 1-1.5mph gain in my 97 build thread years ago, and also on one of my 98GT's. It takes about 45 minutes to install them. Just remember to use a little locktite on the crank pulley and let it sit for a few hours. Some crank bolts are very stubborn, and you have to use a breaker bar. Others, just come off which a little elbow grease and wrench.

I've used FRPP pullies, but liked the Steedas the best. Not a piggy back design.

Steedas are only option. 10 years here. No issues. Noticeable improvement.

IMO they are a completely underrated mod (although they were very popular when I first joined stangnet - back in the days of the timing adjuster!). Pulleys free up power and improve your mpg. They pay for themselves in gas in no time!

(although they were very popular when I first joined stangnet - back in the days of the timing adjuster!)

IMO, the TA is still better than a uploaded tune for a 2v. Bill Putnam had a custom dyno tune(fastest bolt on 2v) and still made more power with just the TA over the custom dyno tune, let alone SCT or uploaded tune that is not a dyno tune.

I would never have an off the shelf uploaded tune on a 2v. Tonight, a guy in our pits lost .2 with just a programmer and a tune uploaded. He was claiming HP numbers, and this and that, and then ran horrible times, and much slower than stock. He thought he gained a little HP, but the track showed not, since it was back to back with similar DA's. They work well on the newer cars and 5.0's, but I love the steeda Timing adjuster. I'd put the stock tune back in and run that thing anyday of the week, especially at the track. You couldn't pay me to run anything but a dyno tune or just a timing adjuster on a bolt on 2v.

This is the only 'bolt on' I have yet to do, I still doubt it kinda. Not that I don't believe it works since I have seen threads from members who have chimed in already on here and other threads as well but for me I'm not sure. I like my stereo and its not overkill but I wonder how well it will charge everything if I did them and I don't think the smallish gains would be worth the hassle it might create for me. If I did get them it would be Steeda or nothing imo.

This is the only 'bolt on' I have yet to do, I still doubt it kinda. Not that I don't believe it works since I have seen threads from members who have chimed in already on here and other threads as well but for me I'm not sure. I like my stereo and its not overkill but I wonder how well it will charge everything if I did them and I don't think the smallish gains would be worth the hassle it might create for me. If I did get them it would be Steeda or nothing imo.

I had/have a sound system when I had my Steeda UDPs. They were absolutely no problem at all. Back in the day, a few people had charging problems on the 5.0s with UDPs, but I've never heard of anyone having problems on the 4.6s.

The older 5.0's had a 2G alternator which frankly was junk. At least in my 2.3, the wiring was terrible and would threaten to catch on fire and they didn't produce much power at idle speeds. The idle speed power output would then be compounded by underdrive pulleys, and on a v8 which can run at idle down residential streets, you suddenly draining the battery while driving or idling.

The 4.6 got the newer style 3G alternator which is MUCH improved. It produces significantly more power at idle speeds and won't be affected significantly by underdrive pulleys. Of course, if you have a competition stereo, wench, hydraulics, ect with loads of more than 20-30 amps, you probably shouldn't go underdrives and would be smart to spin the engine up a bit under these loads. hehe