Pulling Eec-4 Codes.

7-UP BILL

Founding Member
Jan 4, 2001
My other car is a Firetruck
I read the "sticky" on pulling the codes and believe I may have an issue along with others. I have done an AOD to 5-speed swap. Applying clutch pedal, I believe, won't work to access codes. I didn't connect neutral safety switch as I always depress clutch when starting. I can't seem to access codes, not that the CEL is on. It lights when starting as it should then goes out. My computer is A9L. Any suggestions.

• Sponsors (?)

if you are getting a code 67 when dumping the codes with the engine not running, ignition switch on, then read on.

If not, then the engine running codes should dump without a problem; skip the test path. Just dump the codes without the engine running and then dump the codes with the engine running. Be sure to have A/C turned off, the transmission in neutral and the clutch depressed to the floor.

Code 67 –
Revised 2 Nov 2012 to add definition of the NSS functions for both 5 speed and auto transmissions

Cause of problem:
clutch not depressed (5 speed) or car not in neutral or park (auto) or A/C in On position when codes where dumped. Possible neutral safety switch or wiring problem. This code may prevent you from running the Key On Engine On tests.

External evidence from other sources claims that a code 67 can cause an idle surge condition. Do try to find and fix any issues with the switch and wiring if you get a code 67.

What the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch) does:
5 speed transmission: It has no connection with the starter, and the engine can be cranked without it being connected.
Auto transmission: It is the safety interlock that prevents the starter from cranking the engine with the transmission in gear.
What it does for both 5 speed and auto transmission cars:
The computer wants to make sure the A/C is off due to the added load on the engine for the engine running computer diagnostic tests. It also checks to see that the transmission is in Neutral (5 speed and auto transmission) and the clutch depressed (T5, T56, Tremec 3550 & TKO)). This prevents the diagnostics from being run when the car is driven. Key On Engine Running test mode takes the throttle control away from the driver for several tests. This could prove hazardous if the computer was jumpered into test mode and then driven.

The following is for 5 speed cars only.
The NSS code 67 can be bypassed for testing. You will need to temporarily ground computer pin 30 to the chassis. Computer pin 30 uses a Lt blue/yellow wire. Remove the passenger side kick panel and then remove the plastic cover from the computer wiring connector. Use a safety pin to probe the connector from the rear. Jumper the safety pin to the ground near the computer.
Be sure to remove the jumper BEFORE attempting to drive the car!!!

a9x-series-computer-connector-wire-side-view-gif.71316

Reactions: 1 user