Purge Valve & MAF Replacement Questions

RavenSword

May 8, 2008
Hello,

I recently threw a check engine light and had Ford look at it on my 94 mustang.

It came back with the following:

P0443 EMP Vapor Management Valve Fault

Ford said the part needed to fix this was the: cx-1324

Which when I did research came up as the Purge Valve (Also, is this just the canistor or what?)... Is this correct? Am I missing something here? And would this be easy for me to do myself? I am low on funds and having a shop do it is expensive. I'm mechanically inclined enough for most things... According to the Chilton book, replacing the EECS stuff seems pretty simple, but I'm not sure.

Comments, suggestions, advice, etc would be awesome on this. Also, if anyone has a quick how-to, other than the chilton book.

Because this was faulty, they decided to check my MAF as well. They informed me that its starting to go and needs replaced. EDIT: They had said it registered a BADO #145, informing me that it was coming in at 145 hertz instead of what is should be at 159 hertz. Mentioning that it would likely soon cause drivability issues and would throw a check engine light soon.

I had intended on doing a Cold Air Intake soon, one of those cheap $80 ones. But now that my MAF needs replaced (with the cheapest I have found new at $170).... I am wondering if I should just do the following instead:

www.cnlperformance.com/73mm_V6.html

From what I can tell, this would provide me with a fender well cold air intake, and replace my MAF with a newer and better one for cheaper than I could replace the MAF, and buy a different Cold Air Intake.

What do you all think? I appreciate your time and help! Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

code 443 is the Purge valve circuit. normally it's a bad purge valve. it's a small cannister about the size of a roll of quarters by the A/C accumultor (engine compartment, passenger side rear next to firewall). it has 2 vacuum hoses and one 2-wire connector.

the purge valve resistance should be between 30 and 90 Ohms. if not, then the valve is bad.

for the MAF i'd try cleaning it with MAF cleaner. most parts store carry it.