Fuel Purging Fuel System

Window

Feb 13, 2017
i want to get the old fuel in my tank out before i run it thru my new injectors, ill attach a pic of my engine how it sits now. i have everything aside from the upper intake and what would attach to it. a few vacuum and coolant lines as well as a couple plugs that would go into the intake and throttle body etc. im wondering if i can just turn the car over so the fuel pump activates for a few seconds like it normally does forcing what fuel is in there thru the lines into a bucket. repeat a couple times with a fresh gallon of gas just to make sure im not running any garbage thru new parts. is this as easy as im making it out to be? any tips would be appreciated.
engine.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Pumping out the old gas:

If the old pump still works, you can use it to pump the tank out.

1.) Separate the pressure line (the one with the Schrader valve on it) using the fuel line tools.

Look in the A/C repair section for the fuel line tools. They look like little plastic top hats. You will need the 1/2" & 5/8" ones. The hat shaped section goes on facing the large part of the coupling. Then you press hard on the brim until it forces the sleeve into the coupling and releases the spring. You may need someone to pull on the line while you press on the coupling.

61yoVRLxcXL._SL1350_.jpg

OR

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwmjj23EpRXMFfHYVG6hYEK53GOKCWWvYG9-LefxImTo50cmW1.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRTjYAxvaCs

Use a piece of garden hose to run from the pressure line to your bucket or gas can. Make sure it is as leak proof as you can make it. Fire and explosion are not part of the repair process...

2.) Jumper the fuel pump test point to ground.

attachments\68357

Turn the ignition switch to the Run position. the fuel pump will pump the tank almost dry unless the battery runs down first.

Some 5 gallon paint pails lined with garbage bags are good to hold the gas. The garbage bags provide a clean liner for the pails and keep the loose trash out of the gas so you can reuse it. If you decide to use a siphon, a piece of 1/2" garden hose stuck down the filler neck will siphon all but a gallon or so of the gas.

Attachments

• Fuel pump test jumper 86-93 Mustang 60%.gif
    Fuel pump test jumper 86-93 Mustang 60%.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited: