Push button trunk release

• Sponsors (?)

Has anyone done a push button trunk release on their fox? Like replace the key entry with a button. & how yall did it please.

It's a factory option on pre-90 Mustangs. I would imagine a little wiring know-how and you can add another external, weatherproof button from a modern car and wire it in parallel with the glovebox button

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
The button is pretty simple, getting it out is a chore, there are small tabs (more like wings) you have to squeeze them and wiggle it out. You can take the button apart and clean the contacts, not much to them. Check the wire for power, the plug has two, if you jump one of them it may pop the trunk. If the switch is good but the trunk still will not open move to the latch, the 'popper' and latch are together.

The button in the glovebox doesn’t work for some reason. What might be the problem?
Take a look at my progress thread. I fixed my trunk release just within the past few weeks and I write about it there.

Locate the "1988 Mustang Electrical & Vacumm Trouble-Shooting Manual". That will help you immensely.

My ‘86 GT was a stripper, with essentially no power options. I have two newer hatches I’ve picked up to replace my rusty hatch, and both have the heated back glass and remote trunk release. Would it be difficult to set up the remote trunk release?

I have had a temperamental hatch push button. In my case it is usually the plug in the driver foot well kickpanel where the power routes through.

The wiring should be present if it was available as an option. Is there a hole in the console under the glovebox where the button goes?

You need the button, and the popper mechanism

Reactions: 1 user
The wiring should be present if it was available as an option. Is there a hole in the console under the glovebox where the button goes?

You need the button, and the popper mechanism

Mine is an '86, and the fuel release button is behind the glove compartment door. Is that where the remote trunk release would go for that year?
IMG_8999.jpg