Putting front discs in...few questions.

Hey all,
It's been a looong time, but I finally have some time and money to throw some more money at the stang before I head back to school. After searching and researching threads, it looks like wilwood's have the best reputation.
I found a front brake disc kit from summit for 650:
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=/egnsearch.asp&N=400196

http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/ds247.pdf

Noticing it was a lot cheaper than anything I've ever seen, I looked at the parts and realized it's not quite complete. I'll obviously need to upgrade my stock master cylinder and other used, old technology with some of the good stuff. However, I'm a little unsure on what else exactly I'm going to need other than a new MC and new lines. What size bore MC would suit my application? I'm going to keep it manual, I hope the increase in stopping power will be sufficient without a booster.

Does this look like a good setup? What other parts am I going to need? How long roughly should an installation take? I work at a boat repair shop, and have been working as an entry level mechanic, so I'm mechanically inclined...just inexperienced with brakes. I should have all the tools I'll need, including air, and have access to people who have experience if I get stuck, but I'm hoping to do it myself.

Thanks in advance!
Sean

edit: unfortunately the summit link isn't working correctly...hopefully you can judge by the PDF file.

• Sponsors (?)

NorCal66 said:
Thanks Tom...problem with ordering from the Mustang only guys is the lack of brand selection and the price. Best I can find is a $1100 SSBC kit, which I haven't heard much about...does anyone have any input or better options? Thanks, much appreciated.

I installed the SSBC front disc kits on both the front and rear of my '65. They were SSBC's 'Force 10' (or something like that) kits. Both sets installed reasonably well, except that SSBC cheaped out on the hardware and provided Grade 5 nuts that really should have been Grade 8 (they were for fastening Grade 8 bolts). Also, the parking brake hookup on the rear never quite lived up to expectations (like, they don't work consistently without binding and keeping the parking brake partially applied). Other than that, though, the installation was complete and of good quality. Braking performance is quite good - I haven't measured stopping distance and such in a formal way, but the seat-of-the-pants feel is excellent. I've also not experienced any fading or deterioration even after having the brakes reasonably hot.

I've heard good things about the Wilwood kit as well - they're probably comparable.

Baer's also have a good after market disc system. IIRC they as just a little less that SSBC's and much easier to install. (I've done both)
Talk to bill or shaun at www.streetortrack.com

I've been watching the mustang steve setup and waiting for more info and end user comments. I also have the Wilwood and they're the more complicated of the setups, but are much better than drums.