Putting Together Fuel system

allcarfan

The Answer Man
Founding Member
Apr 8, 2001
North Atlanta
needs to support 450rwhp with 8 psi

Right now, I have a holley blue pump and regulator and a 3/8" line. I have a feeling, though, that that is not going to be enough.

Should I upgrade to a holley black pump and a 1/2" line? The inlet for the carb line that I have is -08an....thats about 1/2". All of the pumps and regulators I see have a 3/8" (-06an) inlet and outlet. Would that create a bottle neck?

If anyone has suggestions on a fuel system, I am all for it. I am not using a fuel cell. I will, more than likely, be tapping and fitting my stock tank with a bigger outlet.

Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

an fittings are sized by the 16th of an inch, so, indeed -8 is 1/2 inch.i think you are right about the 3/8" regulator creating a bottle neck. you want the same size all the way through the system. there is one of the big name an vendors, (i think it is earls) that sells high flow fittings that would have less restriction. check summits catalog, but im pretty sure its earls.

That being said, I think 3/8" is plenty to support that power level. However if you have a 1/2" at the carb, why not? You might gain fuel capacity with all that gas in that big line..lol.

It is strange, I have looked at most electric pumps and they all have a 3/8" NPT intlet/outlet, along with the same size inlet/outlet regulator. Even the big, high flowing holley black pump has a 3/8" npt fitting on there.

I looked on summit site and I couldnt find a -08an line. Maybe I was searching with the wrong parameters. They have a fuel 'kit' that looks great, but everything is -06

3/8 npt is large enough, but you also need a boost referenced regulator. 450 hp at 8spi needs the same volume as 450 hp n/a. It just has to be at 15 psi fuel pressure. Volume of the fuel pump goes down as pressure goes up so you need to talk to someone that can give you pump flow numbers at increased pressure. Most people err on the side of safety since a fuel pump now can save an engine later. I fell into that catagory when I bought an A1000, 13204 regulator, #8 line and sumped fuel tank.

russell pieces a nice kit together, tank to carb, check it out at summit. says it supports 864-1008hp, uses 6an and says connect it to the stock tank fuel line. hopefully the edlebrock pump will be quieter than the holley. if youve got some things already you can add the missing pieces or cheap it down by using hard line and such.

russell pieces a nice kit together, tank to carb, check it out at summit. says it supports 864-1008hp, uses 8an and says connect it to the stock tank fuel line. hopefully the edlebrock pump will be quieter than the holley. if youve got some things already you can add the missing pieces or cheap it down by using hard line and such.

Do you have a prt no? The only kit I can see at summit is -06an. Thanks

I did find a mallory pump and a regulator with a -08an. I can piece it together from there....but if there is a ready made kit with fittings...im all for it.

Oz, I have seen that site before. I dont know if their HP numbers are crank or wheel hp estimates when they refer to fuel line size. I am going to assume that it is crank HP.

Isk, your combo is a lot more radical than mine. You have bigger heads, more ci, a bigger cam, a NOS, and a 10psi blower. I dont think my setup will warrant a 460gph pump. Im looking at the mallory 250gph

Yes, they are mechanical. You said your fuel system needed to support 450rwhp and run 8 psi, you never said it had to be electric. I thought I had come up with a viable solution to your delima, I apologize, apparently, I was wrong.

Isk, your combo is a lot more radical than mine. You have bigger heads, more ci, a bigger cam, a NOS, and a 10psi blower. I dont think my setup will warrant a 460gph pump. Im looking at the mallory 250gph
right but I thought my old pump that was 140GPH and 18 PSI max was plent too,until you realize that you need to sustain the needed pressure and volume. My pump now is a bit much, but its a little insurance if i ever wanted to throw more at it later.

Just make sure you know what plans you have for the future.

right but I thought my old pump that was 140GPH and 18 PSI max was plent too,until you realize that you need to sustain the needed pressure and volume. My pump now is a bit much, but its a little insurance if i ever wanted to throw more at it later.

Just make sure you know what plans you have for the future.

Throw more at it later? Stroker, nos and a blower........:shrug:

Like what? A jet engine?:rlaugh: