Pypes M80 muffler install recommendations

caseman22

5 Year Member
Jul 18, 2018
Delware
Sorry if this was already covered. I did look. I purchased the Pypes M80 mufflers and I am looking for recommendations for installing. I currently have flowmaster 40s and they are offset. I don't plan to change the mid pipe or the tips, just the mufflers.

1536955208406.png

Of course the M80s are straight through. What would be the best way to accomplish this install? I want to do it myself but this is my first time so I may not know all the options available to me. Thanks in advance.

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

Some thoughts for you wrt doing it yourself:
--the higher the car is off the ground, the easier it is to do exhaust work...but raise it and support it safely
--the older your existing pipes, clamps, etc. are, the harder this job will be
--getting the mufflers and pipes to line up when going from the offset 40s to the "straight" M80s will likely be a challenge...if you have three piece tailpipes (to axle, over axle and tip), you may be able to get everything to line up...if you only have removable tips, or single piece welded pipes similar to OEM consider going to a muffler shop
--if your existing pipes were installed by a muffler shop and welded, recommend you take it to a muffler shop for this task
--I prefer starting at the rear, removing the tips and tailpipes, then moving forward...loosen the pipe flanges at the rear of the X/Y pipe as you may have to twist those a bit to get the angles
--avoid exhaust contact with other parts of the car as you align the pipes...the exhaust should be suspended from the rubber hangers to minimize rattles, etc.
--retighten the exhaust tips after everything else is lined up and tightened...you will want to get the tip(s) orientation to the bumper and each other visually aligned and trying to do this by moving the exhaust pipes is a lot harder
--check for exhaust leaks
--protect your eyes, exhaust work is dirty

Last edited: