Question about a 1996 Mustang GT

slowyellow03

Apr 18, 2005
Hey guys, right now I have a 2003 V6 Auto coupe, and its slow as hell. I have the chance to trade this thing off and get a 1996 Mustang GT 5 speed, main reasons im considering this is because a) my girlfriend and i want to get a place and its gonna impossible with the payments im making on my current car, and b) insurance is killing me. Of course I know that the GT will be faster but how much HP difference is there between a stock 96 GT 5spd and a stock 03 V6 auto. And what does the GT run in the 1/4 if anyone knows....stock. Any help is appreciated thanks guys.

BTW before you start saying I can get a 99 and up GT I dont really want one because like i said payments will be high and my insurance is ridiculous.

• Sponsors (?)

this has nothing to do with the car but, If you go to local high schools alot of them offer a "night driving/defensive driving" course that will lower your insurance. I know it lowered mine 15% just a lil faq for ya also 96 gt i think came with 215hp

I think it's definitely worth it to trade to the 96 GT. The torque alone is worth it. Though the HP numbers aren't that much higher than yours, the torque makes all the difference. You are also quite limited in modifying your V6 compared to the GT. once you are able to breathe better financially, you will be able to mod it to 99 and up and better specs(heads, cams, intake, blower yada yada yada.
Stock i've seen them run 14's and 15s.

I would do the trade. Besides, you get a better body style with a 1996 GT. If you want more power and have $ in the future, you can do the headswap.

The 15% insurance discount only counts toward your liability portion of the bill.

MyEarsHurt said:
But, you can always throw on some used PI heads and intake for less than $1000 and get another 40-50 hp on the 96 gt.

YES! I have a 96 GT and trust me, it may have only 215 hp stock but it is still a v-8, and still way faster than a 99-04 v6. My 96 is still stock and i LOVE IT. Do the trade and then the PI swap and you'll be running with the best of them and have a better looking body style.

"horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races" -Carroll Shelby. Do the trade man. i ran 15.1's to 15.2s with mine stock. took my cats off, and put on magnapacks, i ran a 14.6 with a 2.2 wholeshot with 2 people in the car. so thats abouta 14.4. will get munched by my friends mach 1 but hey...its alright, thats why i got an SS, to munch his ass. but honestly i enjoy my 96. do it

I have a 96 and if that is what you have found a deal on go ahead...but I'd look at either the 94/95 if interested in this body or a 99+ if you can find the right price.

Word of caution...check the intake manifold and see if it has the aluminum crossover. If not you can expect to swap it out once it cracks. It's not an if its a when. Just did mine (130,000 miles so mine lasted longer than most) and it is a pain to do. If a shop does it you are looking at 800-1000 bucks to fix.