Question about installing windshields

im needing a new windshield too. mines all scratched and stuff but you can tell they they are replacements. they look different. i took my back one out to replace the gasket. to my knowledge they arent glued in but may need to me gently pushed out from the 40 years of being in there ya no... make sure you seal it good when you put it back in there too if not you'll regret it
 
Run kite string around the groove of the weather strip with a knot tied at the bottom. Install the window bottom first then pull the string from the inside and it will guide the seal into place. It may need a little help from the outside.

Be sure to lube up the string with windex or something else that will not interfere with the sealant you sueeze in after.
 
Definately the rope trick works like nothing else! I used a piece of nylon rope that was about 1/4" thick. And, use two people, one in the car pulling the rope, and another on the outside, applying pressure as you pull the rope in, gasket pops right in place.

Also, you WILL need to use ATV sealer around the gasket, as it WILL leak without it. And, be prepared to do it a few times before you actually get all the leaks out. Also, DO NOT PUT THE CHROME TRIM back on till you get the leaks stopped, and be careful not to put too much RTV around the OUTSIDE of the gasket, as you will end up with a blob of RTV where the chrome trim attachment clips go.
 
Why would he use ATV, ( all terrain vehicle? :shrug: ), on the windshield? Only use a butyl,(rubber/petroleum based), product to seal the glass! Do NOT use a product designed to glue a windshield in, you want to seal it.
 
windshield mustang

Well Gents here are my 2 cents.
First check out this web site and get an ideal on how to install a windshield
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/33138/

MustangDave is correct; Remember, always use a butyl (rubber/petroleum-based) flexible sealer on your classic Mustang windshields and backlites. Extreamly important.. I bought 4 tubes from Mid Cities Mustang in Dallas Texas for around $40.00..... Basicly it is some nasty stuff it will get everywhere..... But well worth it.....

Be carefull when buying reproduction windshields.... Some are very thin and will break easy.. try to buy only Carlite brand or find one that is orginal.. I learned the hard way.. I bought one that was made in Japan and ended up breaking the windshield; and I only had about 4 inches left to seal the windshield :bang:

If you live in Dallas, I found EDD'S AUTOMOTIVE & GLASS they will sell you Carlite brand front windshield for a 66 Mustang for $160.00 or installed for $200.00
EDD'S AUTOMOTIVE & GLASS
318 East Northwest Highway
Grapevine, Texas 76051
(817) 329-EDDS (329-3337)

http://www.eddsautoglass.com/Contact_Us.html

However I have not taken him up on that.. I'm still looking for a Orginal Windshield...

Well good luck and have fun.....

One more thing the Butyl I had cleand up easy with thinner.