Engine Question about my power steering pump

Bottomlesspit

I started the longest tech thread in the known uni
Founding Member
Jan 1, 1999
Del Rio, TX
Hi guys....question guy again......
I had some work done on my transmission a couple of months ago and the mechanic said I should look into my power steering pump/leakage.
Car had been sitting for about 5 years so hadn't looked at things lately.
Definitely a mess down there. Sticky, gooey dirt and fluid stuck all over below, slightly behind the pump. The frame and steering parts are all covered.
What I have noticed is there is power steering fluid puddled up in the partitions in the pump cover. Definitely has fluid filling up the top sections in the cap.
Is it normal to have fluid puddling up in the cap like that? I didn't notice it spraying from the lines. Can something cause the pressure to build and force it back out of the cap? I had replaced the cap with one of the HELP type caps from the auto store 5 yrs ago...but the gooey mess says something has been making a mess for awhile.
Any thoughts? I don't see anything obvious. Thanks,
Ken

• Sponsors (?)

Lets go about this methodically, was it a mess when you changed the cap? Possibly the wrong cap.
Clean up the mess and watch for a leak.
Likely the return line needs a turn or two one the clamp, sometimes you just have to replace it, now don't get me started on that 0 ring for the high pressure hose,

Spraying from the cap is common for the roadrace guys. They usually wrap a rag around the cap and zip tie it in place to deal with overflow.

If it's spraying out during normal driving,. perhaps the cap is subpar.

Reactions: 1 user
OK, thanks guys.
I will be cleaning up the area and checking it all carefully. Just wanted to know more about the caps and if cheap aftermarket ones were known to leak or anything. I'll get on it and check.
Thanks,
Ken