Question about p&p heads and cams

• Sponsors (?)

From what I've seen here about 290-310 RWHP. It depends on boltons and differences between cars auto,stick etc. Have you looked into a blower? There are alot of blower types out there. What are you looking to do anyway.

ok.. to start things off I just got back and I hit the refresh button and I see some crazy **** going on??? I guess they updated the looks or somthing.. But anywhy back to the topic. I want to make my car faster with out adding a superchager or nitrous. I have 2000 to spend and I was thinking that heads and cams would be the best thing to do for more power. My car is an automatic. But if im only going to get 20 or so hp for 1500.00 dollars then ill find somting else to spend my money on! I want to see mid to low 13's in my car. I just put the headers on and im going to the track saturday in hopes that I break into the 13's.

SliverStang said:
ok.. to start things off I just got back and I hit the refresh button and I see some crazy **** going on??? I guess they updated the looks or somthing.. But anywhy back to the topic. I want to make my car faster with out adding a superchager or nitrous. I have 2000 to spend and I was thinking that heads and cams would be the best thing to do for more power. My car is an automatic. But if im only going to get 20 or so hp for 1500.00 dollars then ill find somting else to spend my money on! I want to see mid to low 13's in my car. I just put the headers on and im going to the track saturday in hopes that I break into the 13's.

With a set of N/A cams and a nice port/polish job I would expect 30-35 rwhp. However, if all you are trying to do is break into the mid 13s, I would concentrate on suspension and minor bolt ons. Just depends on to what extreme you want to take things.

Remember...the springs in PI heads can barely take the stock cams. If you want bigger cams, even mild ones, I recommend new springs. You'll spend every bit of money on those heads. I work at a shop, and to do my heads up (p&p, cams, springs, and all the stuff...gaskets, bolts, etc.) it would cost right at $1800-2000. And that is my price( I don't get much of a break)...customer would easily be $2500 up. Labor to do heads is 14 hrs...at whatever the shop rate is...65-80/hr...you do the math. Add 100 bucks for new bolts (old not reusable), 100 bucks for head gaskets, whatever for porting, etc.. The list goes on. Doing the heads on a 4.6 is not really a driveway job like on a 5.0. Either save some more and get a charger, or get some nitrous. The NOSzle kit would be the way to go. N/A tuning works better on 4V's in my opinion.

Or, disconnect the front sway bar..that was worth .2 on mine, .5 on my cousins 347. Gears like 4.10 or 4.30 and some lower control arms will help. That should put you in the 13's.

keepsbreakin said:
Remember...the springs in PI heads can barely take the stock cams. If you want bigger cams, even mild ones, I recommend new springs. You'll spend every bit of money on those heads. I work at a shop, and to do my heads up (p&p, cams, springs, and all the stuff...gaskets, bolts, etc.) it would cost right at $1800-2000. And that is my price( I don't get much of a break)...customer would easily be $2500 up. Labor to do heads is 14 hrs...at whatever the shop rate is...65-80/hr...you do the math. Add 100 bucks for new bolts (old not reusable), 100 bucks for head gaskets, whatever for porting, etc.. The list goes on. Doing the heads on a 4.6 is not really a driveway job like on a 5.0. Either save some more and get a charger, or get some nitrous. The NOSzle kit would be the way to go. N/A tuning works better on 4V's in my opinion.

Or, disconnect the front sway bar..that was worth .2 on mine, .5 on my cousins 347. Gears like 4.10 or 4.30 and some lower control arms will help. That should put you in the 13's.

:stupid: What he said. Everything said above is dead on.

I paid a mint $$ for my Stage III heads, but will all be worth it in the end. You can get nice power from heads, cams, and internal work..... but it ain't cheap my friend.

Well If I do it I would do it myself. But I really don't want to do it if it isn't going to help me a whole lot. I was lookin on T&J's website and they offer the stage 2 head for like 1600 and the cams run about 550. But I don't see it if im only going to gain 20hp. I really don't wanna go with nitrous but it is not out of the question. Since my car is a Auto I thought about gettin a stall converter and a valve body. But I just wanna make sure whatever I do is going to give the best bang for the buck. Ive saved a while to get 2k saved up and I don't wanna waste it on unmeaningfull mods!!

The gears and converter would probably be the best then. With my 4.6 nitrous experiences, nitrous+4.6 is not ideal for longevity. I have destoryed one motor already with a 125 shot. Building N/A 4.6's, either 2V or 4V, is an expensive endeavor...way, way, more than 2g's. Power adder or suspension, good tires, and some bolt-ons is about the only viable option I see. Exhaust really helps 99-ups, too, and I see you already have it with some 4.10's.

Well I have 4.10 gears and a full exhaust already. I guess im thinking all the bolt ons that i can get mabye like CIA, TB, C&L upperintake, MAF, Pulley's, T/A, and whatever else there is. Or I could just sell my car and buy a low mile GT that is allready supercharged! lol