Question about putting clear RTV down before paint.

SuperStang83

Founding Member
Mar 21, 2001
Boyertown, Pa
I bought and installed a Steeda wing on my Fox body last weekend and all along the hatch it stick up abou an eight of an inch or so from the decklid. Would it be alright to throw some clear RTV down there in this gap so that no water gets down into my hatch, and also so it doesn't rust it out. Will it be safe to paint over the RTV and will it still look good? Hopefully my car will be getting painted in May, and you can't really see the gap there unless you are checking the car out fairly thouroughly, so I am not going to get worked up that it doens't sit flat on the decklid. Also if not RTV is there anything else that I could use that would work better? Thank you for any help.

Jacob

• Sponsors (?)

Use a gasket. A lot of spoilers come with a thin, spongy gasket...like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rear...004QQitemZ140205579495QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

I would use that to mount the spoiler. When you get your car painted remove the spoiler and have it painted seperatly. That way you get a good coat under the spoiler with no seams of paint, and then reinstall the spoiler using the same gasket.

Follow Fett's instructions and you'll have no problems later.

Don't use RTV as silicon and paint just don't mix, use something you can buy called seam sealer if you need something to fill a space, you can buy it in a few different colors. Also you can buy gasket material at most auto parts stores and make your own gasket, they sell it out a few different materials also.

what he said silicon is badd for paint...as said you could find a gasket/make a gasket,"dum dum", seam sealer, or dbl backed 3m tape thats used for emblems...a tip on seam sealer if you need to brush it and make it look nice let you can use a acid brush with a lil wax and grease remover on the brush and itll make it so the seam sealer doesnt stick to the brush so you can make it look nice

I'd go for the foam rubber gasket or some household silicone or good acrylic sealant applied after painting both parts separately.

Seam sealer would fill the gap fine, but wouldn't it pretty much glue the hatch to the decklid? I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Don't apply anything before painting, especially silicones, paint will not stick to even a slight amount of silicone.

I'd just caulk the thing with clear 100% silicone after painting & forget about it. It'll keep water out but can still be removed later (put a good coat of wax on all surfaces before applying the silicone maybe).

seam sealer can be bought at any auto body supply store..maybe a wesco if you have one near by. Infact go in there and tell them what you intend to use it for and they can hook ya up...