Question about running MLS head gaskets and stock valve train

oldfox

Feb 19, 2009
I have a mostly stock 5.0 engine and I'm boosting and I popped a head gasket. I was thinking of running the Fel Pro MLS head gaskets but will my stock push rods still work? I see the gasket is .041 when compressed.
Anyone know what a stock head gasket is when compressed?
Or do you know if it's OK to run this combination?

I would think this would raise the head

• Sponsors (?)

i believe the stock gaskets are .030 or .040 compresses stock, so you should be ok. Wouldnt hurt to check the valvetrain though. If you blew a head gasket, its a good time to bring the heads to a shop to check for straightness.

Also, with the MLS gaskets, you need to put a dab on the 4 corners of the gasket by the intake end rails, if you do not there will be a gap and you will leak oil

The last stock head gasket I measured was .039 compressed. There is not enough difference between .039 and .041 to worry with.

Have used Cometic and had issues with leakage. Switched to Fel Pro MLS and so far no problems...and NO LEAKS. Happy with them although they're expensive. Before using MLS I was running 1011-2's...never had any problems other than the ONE that I knocked the middle out of (turbo 302, 20+ psi, went lean due to failing fuel pump)...but it also took out the piston top on #6 so it wasn't the gasket's fault.