Electrical Question about shock towers 86 up..

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Anyone know if there was a change to the drivers side shock tower on the 86 up models to accomodate the coil bracket??
Just purchased a newer bracket and when I hold it up to my 83 shock tower sheet metal, it sure doesn't look very " bolt on" to me?
thanks for any help....

• Sponsors (?)

I can hold the bracket at the shock tower?
It will mount up ok, I just expected some flat spots or " dimples" which there seem to be none
Hence the reason for my question....

When i filled in all my holes, that's all i did. Line the bracket up on the tower, and mark and drill new holes.

WHat style coils did Ford use in 1983? The round style? Didn't those mount on the engine? SO Ford wouldn't pre-dimple holes for a bracket that wouldn't exist until 1986....unless something else mounted there and was repurposed.

They changed the revision of rails/ towers a few times, I think 84 or 85, then again in late 89 for the 90 models, then another small tweek to the tower in 92. By that point they had so many punched small screw holes no one would know what's factory and what isn't. the early one have a big circle Cut out where the k member support is inside the frame rail and don't rust out as often as the later ones when the removed that. Fox rails kit is designed around the early rails with that hole.

Reactions: 1 user
When i filled in all my holes, that's all i did. Line the bracket up on the tower, and mark and drill new holes.

WHat style coils did Ford use in 1983? The round style? Didn't those mount on the engine? SO Ford wouldn't pre-dimple holes for a bracket that wouldn't exist until 1986....unless something else mounted there and was repurposed.
Yes, round oil fill coil mounted on the intake was stock in 83.. This was going to be in the way with the new carb and fuel line, unless I Jimmy rigged it... Updating to the newer bracket on the strut tower/engine compartment.......
I agree with your assessment which is why I asked the question, but was curious if anyone knew for sure... I just thought the bracket would fit a bit 'squarer" than mine seems to be going to fit...
Offhand, I would say I need to mount the bracket a bit higher than the 86 up cars, due to the duraspark box and wire loom... No biggie.....
Thanks for the help