Question: anyone successfully done stock front springs with the two piece external spring compressors?

• Sponsors (?)

OK, need to replace the front control arms on my '00 GT. Stock springs.

Have you used this tool on the Mustang? I'm just going to rent this for $50 vs buying the OTC 7045B for $280.
That spring compressor will not work.. I bought one and returned it.. The " discs" will NOT slide in between the coils....

Reactions: 1 user
Only other option with stock springs.....unless i want to hose clamp it again.....

The springs might be different on your 00 than my 83... I purchased another similar puller and the " angle of the dangle" trying to tighten and then " get it out of the spring" just did not line up..... The engine was out of the car which is why I purchased the spring compressors as I had no weight to compress them at install.....
I gave up and reinstalled my engine to install the front springs then pulled the engine again..... LOL....
Of course I was using K&R and they were alot shorter....
Has anyone tried to install stock springs with the MM install tool??
DSCF1163.JPG

Has anyone tried to install stock springs with the MM install tool??

They say specifically on their site the tool will not work with stock springs.

1694023560955.png

F it.... lowering spring time. I'm not gonna fight with stock springs. Now i need to pick up the MM tool without dropping $50 on it for the tool plus shipping.

Last edited:
This is what I rented from the parts stores back in the day for coil springs. You have to get it just right so that when you compress the spring the bolt comes out of the hole on the LCA.

Also, you have to disassemble it and put the hooks on the end in first and get them on the coils, put the second set of hooks in that float, and then put the long "bolt" in and put it all together in the middle of the spring. If I was not putting the springs back in then I would just heat them with a torch and collapse them.

I convinced myself to buy lowering springs and the MM install tool.

Didn’t take much convincing as the ride height on these things is rediculous. I can fit a small child in my fender gap.

Last edited:
I convinced myself to buy lowering springs and the MM install tool.

Didn’t take much convincing as the ride height on these things is rediculous. I can fit a small child in my fender gap.
I've never needed a tool with lowering springs. There has always been enough articulation in the control arm to just jam it in there.

Kurt

I've never needed a tool with lowering springs. There has always been enough articulation in the control arm to just jam it in there.

Kurt
I don't think its really needed, but you sure feel alot safer using it when you jack up the lower A arm getting the spring seated....

I don't think its really needed, but you sure feel alot safer using it when you jack up the lower A arm getting the spring seated....
I don't see how it's any safer. Sometimes you have to lay under the car opposite side the danger zone when you pry one out.

Kurt

I always just “hid” behind the door area off to the side when doing the dangerous part. Every time a stock spring broke free, it never really popped out, it just twanged a bit but stayed in the cup area.

My C springs went into the perch by hand. Very easy. The Bullitt springs were longer so I had to get hose clamps to take up some of the free lenght to get them in. I like the idea of this tool because it gives me a “ramp” to help kick the spring into place. We will see.

Ideally I’d like to get the OEM new edge springs back in as I’d hate to put stiffer lowering springs in with stock 20+ year old struts. I imagine it will ride like a dump truck. I might have to get some hose clamps and see if this tool helps to get them back in. I know…hose clamps aren’t exactly safe but if you strap 10 of them on it does the trick

As with anything, I like to have options when I have the car apart and need it back together asap. If the OE springs are kicking my ass, I’ll slap a lowering spring in.

I plan on doing this next week so we will see how it goes

I always just “hid” behind the door area off to the side when doing the dangerous part. Every time a stock spring broke free, it never really popped out, it just twanged a bit but stayed in the cup area.

My C springs went into the perch by hand. Very easy. The Bullitt springs were longer so I had to get hose clamps to take up some of the free lenght to get them in. I like the idea of this tool because it gives me a “ramp” to help kick the spring into place. We will see.

Ideally I’d like to get the OEM new edge springs back in as I’d hate to put stiffer lowering springs in with stock 20+ year old struts. I imagine it will ride like a dump truck. I might have to get some hose clamps and see if this tool helps to get them back in. I know…hose clamps aren’t exactly safe but if you strap 10 of them on it does the trick

As with anything, I like to have options when I have the car apart and need it back together asap. If the OE springs are kicking my ass, I’ll slap a lowering spring in.

I plan on doing this next week so we will see how it goes
Did you buy the tool yet? If not send me your address in a PM and I will mail you mine to use... Just mail it back please when your done...

Years ago when I removed the front springs, not stock but still under tension with the arm drooped, I used a few large Zip Ties to "retain" the springs in the wheel wells so they wouldn't be able to shoot across the garage. It worked pretty well and held them in place, just find something to tie them to on the top so when the bottom comes out they can't go far.

Did you buy the tool yet? If not send me your address in a PM and I will mail you mine to use... Just mail it back please when your done...

Thanks for the offer but I did buy one from LMR. Bought some other stuff so I threw one in the cart. Figured it’s a tool I’d like to have around just in case