Question From A New Member About GT's

Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, I'm not a forum-poster usually. If it's in the wrong place, let me know where it would be better to post my question please :)

OK, disclaimers aside...
I am a 26-year-old woman who has always wanted a Mustang Convertible GT. I know little about them, other than what I have found out through test driving them and checking them out online. I have been shopping around and looking at '05's and newer.
I'm wondering if those of you who currently own this car can give me some honest feedback about the car.
One specific concern is this: I have been to two different dealerships where the battery on the car was dead. I know that this can be just because it's been on the lot or lights got left on, etc...but I'm curious to know if any of you have noticed a problem with your batteries, since I've seen it happen at two different dealerships now.

Any other honest feedback (both positive and negative) would be greatly appreciated...
-What do you like about the car
-What don't you like about the car?
-Any problems with the car (or common problems you know about with these cars)

Thanks friends, I really appreciate you taking the time and giving the new girl some advice :)

• Sponsors (?)

Pretty good performance right out of the box, IMO. It had been quite some time since I had driven a car that felt like it had some decent power under it when I test drove an '06. I was impressed.
Gas mileage isn't really that bad, depending on your driving style. I get around 30mpg on the highway with wider tires. Around town is a different story (I have a 5 speed and like to hear my exhaust).

Dislike:
For the money, I would have expected more creature comforts in the car (DRL, self-dimming rear view mirror, that kind of stuff).

Problems:
TPMS hasn't really worked for longer than a month since I've had it ('07 was the first year for TPMS in the mustang, so I guess that might explain some of the service department's confusion).

Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, I'm not a forum-poster usually. If it's in the wrong place, let me know where it would be better to post my question please :)

OK, disclaimers aside...
I am a 26-year-old woman who has always wanted a Mustang Convertible GT. I know little about them, other than what I have found out through test driving them and checking them out online. I have been shopping around and looking at '05's and newer.
I'm wondering if those of you who currently own this car can give me some honest feedback about the car.
One specific concern is this: I have been to two different dealerships where the battery on the car was dead. I know that this can be just because it's been on the lot or lights got left on, etc...but I'm curious to know if any of you have noticed a problem with your batteries, since I've seen it happen at two different dealerships now.

Any other honest feedback (both positive and negative) would be greatly appreciated...
-What do you like about the car
-What don't you like about the car?
-Any problems with the car (or common problems you know about with these cars)

Thanks friends, I really appreciate you taking the time and giving the new girl some advice :)

Welcome to the board! :SNSign:

The dead battery is most likely due to the Shaker 500 radio being left on. When you exit the car, you'll want to turn it off before opening the doors. If not, it'll leave the amps on and if you leave your car for more than a few days, you'll come back to a dead battery. But should you turn the radio off before exiting, you should have no problem.

I like just about everything about the car. Hell, I have 2 of them! They're fun to drive. They perform and handle well from the factory, for a mass produced car. Add an intake and custom tune from Brenspeed or Bamachips, and you've got a lot of fun on your hands. I can't say that there's anything I really hate about the cars. It's the best Mustang yet, that's for sure.

Known problems are the radio (as I mentioned earlier). Also earlier models experienced problems when filling up at the gas station. If you tried to fill with the nozzle on full, the pump would stop early. I believe this was due to a vacuum issue. It was supposed fixed in later models. I've only had it happen once on my '07 and a couple of times on the '05. The passenger side airbag recently had a recall. It just needs to be reprogrammed. The front strut mounts have a tendency to go bad, so if you hear a thunk up there, take it in. There is a TSB on it (technical service bulletin - that means they will fix it for free as long as it exhibits the problem.) That's all I can think of for now. Happy hunting and be sure to post pics when you get one. You won't regret it.

Welcome to Stangnet!

I've had a couple of interior rattling issues, the car has been in the shop for 1 day in the year that i've owned it (excluding free dealership oil changes).

I love the power, i've never owned a V8 car before... I never get tired of flooring this thing. If you don't plan on modding it, don't worry its plenty of car for the price you pay.

Style, its a mustang and this new body style is gorgeous.

My biggest complaint is that there is nowhere to put stuff. I'm normally the type of guy that doesn't like ANY clutter laying around in the car. This car seriously lacks places to store stuff like keys wallets, coins (the coin holder it has sucks), etc.

My boss owns a V6 vert and I've ridden in it with over 20,000 on the odometer and there isn't a whole lot of wind noise yet either. Pretty solid, and we've never had an issue with the battery.

I like my '07 GT coupe a lot and have no regrets about buying it.

I don't put many miles on it, but do make a point of driving it for about 35 miles (mostly freeway) every week to keep the battery reasonably charged. The voltage is definitely on the low side after it has not been driven for a week. One time I drove it for 100 miles and checked the battery after the car had not been driven for a week; the voltage was quite a bit higher than when I would do my usual 35 mile drive. There is a lot of drain on the battery when it is parked, so if the battery isn't reasonably charged when you park it, it will drain quickly.

I had the problem with the gasoline pump at the filling station clicking off way before the tank was full, but for some reason have not had that problem recently.

It would be nice, as previously mentioned, if it had more storage spaces. The coin holder inside the console is somebody's idea of a joke, and the console itself is too short to store regular size maps. I don't know why one of the two cup holders is so small. The other one is fine.

I've had the scheduled maintenance and the air bag recall done at the dealer. No other problems except for two flat tires.

It would be a good idea to have the particular car checked by a mechanic and to get a CARFAX report before you buy.

The Mustang GT is a fun car!!!

If you buy one, this forum is a great source of information--you can find out all kinds of stuff that Ford doesn't tell you.

I have almost 55,000 miles on my 06GT and it is by far the best car I have ever owned. I came to it from a Stage 4 + WRX, which was quite a bit quicker than my stock stang, but I am not looking back. My only complaint is the fact that I need more money for mods..... :nice:

05 Vert Owner

I have a fully loaded 05 GT Convertible automatic I bought used about 18 months ago. It had some of the problems mentioned in this thread-- gas tank fill issue, suspension clunk-- that have been repaired under warranty. It now has 27K miles on the clock and runs and performs great.

I have to say that owning and driving this car is very satisfying. Much more than I had expected. Its not too bad on gas and it will giddy-up when I tell it to.

That said, the warranty has expired and now I'm getting itchy to do some power mods. I'm not sure how hard I can push a convertible, and am thinking about selling it to buy a coup. (Anyone Interested in car is welcome to PM me)

My 07 GT/CS is awesome, I have had no battery problems. The car is very quick, handle's like it's on rails and looks really good with the traits of the older mustangs. So far it's been very dependable, a good solid car and it's very fun I might add. The bad part is that I'm use to trucks and it feels like I have to climb down into it. The car wraps around you in a tight fit as a good sports car should. Just feels a little confining when your use to trucks. Back in the day I had several mustangs, but for the last 25 years are so I've had 4x4 trucks. I forgot how much fun these cars could be. What got me interested again was because the new ones look so much like my old ones. I also get decent mpg at 22 around home and 25 on a trip, I do no real city driving since I live in country.

We have been very pleased with our '07 GT Vert. We added the CAI and muffler delete and wider rear tires. The wife always comments on how she forgets the power the car has and ends up doing a bit of hotrodding . Ya, right.....

No major problems at all. My top was stained in transport and dealer replaced it. Just had rear windows replaced due to same staining. I do not see this as a normal problem, just limited to my car. Never seen it again on another car. No other of the normal problem indicated.

Automatic is great. Wife has knee problems so no clutch here. Still a blast to drive. Always get comments and looks. Comfort is good. Been on a few 250 mile trips and all was good. Cruzing on the hiway at 75+ with the top down is great.

You guys that complained about wanting more creature features and storage space with your retro styled, muscle car, crack me up. :rlaugh:

Point taken, BUT the car I had before I bought the Mustang was a 1970 Olds Cutlass Supreme with 455 cu in engine and a 4 bbl carb (the 4-4-2 engine). The enclosed storage compartment on the console was long enough to hold regular size maps. There was room on the center console (the part that was not a storage bin) forward of the Hurst shifter to put a plastic tray to hold coins, etc. The tray also had two decent size cup holders (although they were not deep enough).

Battery issues are pissing me off, currently. In the past year, I have had 2 stock batteries just bend over and take a **** on me. I do not have the Shaker 500 system so that's not it and I always turn my lights off. I don't know why it dies. I even tried to jump the car and the battery wouldn't even hold enough charge to get started. Alternator is good, too. Had it checked out. Replaced it with an Optima Red Top and hopefully that will fix the problem.

Thank you guys all so much for the advice, tips, and information! You guys ROCK! :)

Okay, I've been shopping and shopping and haggling away :) and I have a GT that I am looking at and am really interested in.
I am going to put a link to the AutoTrader ad below so you can see what I'm looking at. I test drove the car, everything is great in it. It has minor wear and tear on the driver's side seat- nothing major though. The only thing I don't like about it which they said can be removed is the person who had it before put a chrome-looking thing with flames covering the gas tank and chrome-looking things on the door handles. They're just glued on.

The starting price was $26,995. My husband and I have whittled the price down to $22,250 + Tax & Lic.
They said this is as low as they can go. Is this a good price? We were thinking of offering $22,000 + tax & lic., but is this even feasible, or do you think we've gotten them as low as they'll go?
Any thoughts/feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
The ad:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&transmission=Automatic&max_price=&cardist=24

I found one other Mustang that I really like and is in perfect condition, but it has 20" rims on it. My dad, who used to be in the car business, said it may be good to stay away from this car because the larger tires/rims may have jacked up something - I forget what he said exactly...the suspension maybe? Any thoughts on this?
So far we've gotten the price on this car down to $22,885. The thing with this car is it would come with an extended warranty because it's from a Ford dealer.
Here's the link to that car:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&transmission=Automatic&max_price=&cardist=21

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to answer my silly questions, I really appreciate it!!!!

Both seem like good prices for 'verts. I wouldn't worry about the 20's. 20" wheels usually ruin the suspension because there's not enough tire on there. But the Mustang wheel wells are so large, you're able to put enough tire on there. As long as they have a sidewall of 35 or larger, I wouldn't worry in the least.

30MPG can be done pretty easily at highway speeds (50-60MPH) if you have an intake and tune. Even with the few more bolt-ons that I have, I average 32MPG on the way out to the track, which is about a 25 minute drive with no stops, that ranges between 30mph and 55mph.

I GOT MY MUSTANG!!! :)

Hi Friends,
Thanks for all of your help and opinions and suggestions! Just wanted to let you know I did go with the Black '06 Mustang Convertible GT!!!
I am so excited...drove to work with the top down this morning and it was FABULOUS!!!
Just wanted to thank you for your help and advice and let you know I got one!!
Thanks,
Carly