Electrical Question on 87 Ford Mustang gauge cluster

Gs1987GT

Sep 25, 2019
MidAtlantic
Hello gents, good evening

I had to pull the gauge cluster out of my Mustang to change the speedometer cable. I figured while I had it out I take it inside on my workbench remove the plastic lens cover and clean everything real good, because there's dust behind it.

Please see attached photos, you'll Note 2 sockets missing from behind the tachometer.

When I hold the cluster up to the light, one says check engine, the other says check oil. Based on what I can see, it does not appear either of those ever had any sockets in them. There are no markings on the printed circuit board in that area as you would typically see from turning a socket .
20191228_184857.jpg
20191228_184857.jpg
20191228_184843.jpg
20191228_184824.jpg
Is that correct? Or, are they missing?

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Also if you would happen to know what number bulb the small ones are on the lower right part of the cluster I would appreciate it as I would like to replace those before I put it back in the car. It looks like the balance of them are just 194s

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sponsors (?)

Hi Wayne, good morning

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, yes 87 GT. Thank you. Do you know what those small bulbs are (part number), (the group of 4 on the lower right whose housing screws to the main cluster) I can't seem to find that information anywhere.

Thanks

Those two functions are on the lower right white block of bulbs if we are talking about an '87 GT. So no lights needed in the two open ones.

Partially correct.

Check oil is located in the small 4-pod warning light cluster on the 87/89 GT. If you were to put a bulb in the missing spot, both locations would light up.

Check engine is not present at all on an 87 and 88 running speed density. So the bulb isn’t present because the ECU doesn’t have the ability to display it. Now, if the car is swapped to mass air, you can wire up the check engine light and make it functional.

2.3l mustangs of that year do have the cel, so the cluster is meant to be sort of universal.

No idea what that little warning pod uses for bulbs though

Partially correct.

Check oil is located in the small 4-pod warning light cluster on the 87/89 GT. If you were to put a bulb in the missing spot, both locations would light up.

Check engine is not present at all on an 87 and 88 running speed density. So the bulb isn’t present because the ECU doesn’t have the ability to display it. Now, if the car is swapped to mass air, you can wire up the check engine light and make it functional.

2.3l mustangs of that year do have the cel, so the cluster is meant to be sort of universal.

No idea what that little warning pod uses for bulbs though
Oh yeah....lol. You are correct. I got carried away on that one.

The difference between the 161 and 194 is one is brighter than the other.
Actually I thought 164 and 194 was the same only one was brighter, it's been a while, used them on the marker lights on the dump truck but have since swapped to leds