Question on oil change........

Rynb15

Nov 21, 2005
Sorry for all the newb questions but i justy got the car. Anyways im going to change the oil today. How much oil does it hold. I have been told 4 quarts and then someone told me they put 6 quarts in theres. Also I think im going to go with royal purple oil. Should I go 5w30 or 10w30. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Agreed. 5 quarts with a filter swap is it. Dont forget to remove BOTH plugs when you drain it (otherwise you will end up propagating a 5 page thread about this).

Good advice with checking the dipstick markings too. Mine was off as well. So do check and remark the stick as needed.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Agreed. 5 quarts with a filter swap is it. Dont forget to remove BOTH plugs when you drain it (otherwise you will end up propagating a 5 page thread about this).

Good advice with checking the dipstick markings too. Mine was off as well. So do check and remark the stick as needed.

Good luck.

Wow, I only put in 4 quarts and it was fine....now I know why. Dipstick is wrong?!? Thats messed up.

What are you talking about two plugs? Now I'm worried b/c I just changed mine two weeks ago.

There is a drain plug in front of the pan, visible laying down under the front bumper. There is a second plug on the bottom of the pan towards the back. Both needs to be removed and drained, then clean the plug off, wipe the surface off, and then put the plugs back in securely prior to filling her up with oil.

dec322 said:
Wow, I only put in 4 quarts and it was fine....now I know why. Dipstick is wrong?!? Thats messed up.

What are you talking about two plugs? Now I'm worried b/c I just changed mine two weeks ago.

where is the 2nd one? I havent looked yet but knowing where to look would be nice. Good thing i posted this i never would have known there was a 2nd plug.

dec322 said:

There is a plug on the bottom of the sump, and there is one on the front of the sump (it faces the anti-sway bar).

Mine also read full after 4 quarts going in. But if both drains were removed, you have a good idea that most of the oil is out of the sump, so refill, start it and let it run for a bit. Then check the level the next morning and put a mark where the current oil level is on the stick. Mine is way past the actual full marks (the crosshatched section) and up near the F in the word Full as I recall.

Good luck.

Sounds like the reason 4 quarts were working for you was because you were not draining all the old oil out. 1 drain plug is up front and the other is in the rear, there is a double hump oil pan to fit over the K Member.

Yeah, I don't even both with the dipstick these days. I just keep an eye on all gaskets/seals for signs of oil leaks and burn off. And my exhaust is clean (well, as clean as no -cats can be) so I just keep consistent with my oil change intervals.

Shakerhood said:
Sounds like the reason 4 quarts were working for you was because you were not draining all the old oil out. 1 drain plug is up front and the other is in the rear, there is a double hump oil pan to fit over the K Member.
:nice:

For those who like visuals...here ya go (lazy so only used MS Paint instead of Photoshop, but it should get the point across). The boxy thing is the stock double-sump oil pan. The black circles are where you will find the drain plugs.

Attachments

• oilpan.GIF
    oilpan.GIF
    1.6 KB · Views: 81
No harm no fowl..next time you'll be right on the money. I spent quite some time trying to figure out why my dipstick read WAY high with 5quarts, my dipstick was so out of whack it was funny.

Derek, so did I. I got the stang long before having internet access (you hear that? It's me dragging my club behind me. :D ) and I also couldnt figure out WTF was going on.

I also noticed that there's maybe 1/2 quart between the low and high cross-hatch marks on the stick on my 88.

just changed my oil today. I use castrol 20w50 i would advise to remove both plugs. My front one in magnetized. prolly the same on ur car.

also what oil filter will u be using. i would prefer the FL1A from motorcraft. best filter i have used:D

I have to be in the Minority as my Dipstick actually reads correct with 5 Quarts in it. Its a 92 so maybe they had enough years to figure out how to make it right, LOL!