• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech

Question: Pulling a steering wheel.

  • Thread starter Thread starter GRGT1994
  • Start date Start date Jul 2, 2005

GRGT1994

New Member
Sep 22, 2004
1,034
0
0
Jul 2, 2005
#1
  • Jul 2, 2005
  • #1
Question: Pulling a steering wheel. (FOLLOW UP QUESTION)

[See below for my follow up question]

I got the universal steering wheel puller from 50Resto, and it's a bit harder than I anticipated. I keep cranking and cranking on the center bolt, but seem to be barely budging the wheel. Has anyone done this and have any suggestions? Or is it just plain a bear to get the steering wheel off?

Here are a couple of pics so you can see the set up. And I think you can even see in the detail just how much (or little) progress I have made so far.





Oh, BTW, the silver things you see on the two end bolts are sockets. I couldn't even get the center bolt to engage without using some sort of spacers on them. And the sockets seem to do the job.
 

HoofnIt

Founding Member
Jan 8, 2001
1,175
0
36
North Carolina
Jul 2, 2005
#2
  • Jul 2, 2005
  • #2
When I changed mine out I went through the same thing. Just keep at it and eventually it will 'pop' off.
 

GRGT1994

New Member
Sep 22, 2004
1,034
0
0
Jul 2, 2005
#3
  • Jul 2, 2005
  • #3
OK, now I know what the problem was. The center bolt ended up tapping into the hub. So it was only threading in, the harder I tightened.

That creates another, bigger issue. Now my hub is stripped out. (I got the steering wheel off).

Anyone know how to replace the hub? It looks like its just a bolt, although I'm sure it's probably more than that.
 

donjohn

New Member
Feb 7, 2004
1,757
0
0
Irvine - Southern California
Jul 2, 2005
#4
  • Jul 2, 2005
  • #4
shoot man... i was just going to say make sure your center bolt isn't going in anything... then i saw ur post...

i dunno about replacing that
 

Engel

Member
Apr 2, 2005
219
0
16
Currently Fort Walton Beach
Jul 2, 2005
#5
  • Jul 2, 2005
  • #5
I had the exact same problem, it eventually comes off. I am beggining to wonder if the puller was necessary
 

GRGT1994

New Member
Sep 22, 2004
1,034
0
0
Jul 2, 2005
#6
  • Jul 2, 2005
  • #6
Anyone else? I need some help with my stripped out hub. See above.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

83 steering wheel question
  • x_man586
  • Jun 3, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
12
Views
280
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 4, 2025
x_man586
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
360
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
D
2003 Mustang Steering pulls left bad after and accident , screeching while driving help please
  • dustbustet707
  • May 9, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
408
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- May 13, 2025
Noobz347
Suspension 87 steering wheel slightly wobbles after new Rag joint install
  • R82148V
  • Jun 16, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
25
Views
1K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 24, 2025
R82148V
B
water pump installation questions
  • B0udreaux
  • Feb 5, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
38
Views
2K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 28, 2026
General karthief
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?