Question regarding smoke after recent header install

nopho85024

Feb 7, 2006
If anyone can provide some insight to my problem I'd appreciate it.
I recently installed a set of tri-y's (ceramic coated) on my 66. Now, after I start the engine and it runs for about 20 seconds smoke begins to come up from around the passenger-side header (i can't tell exactly where it's comming from becuase of the fan.) After I shut the engine off, the smoke still appears for about 8 seconds.

At first I thought it was the paper header gasket burning up, but I replaced the gaskets with aluminum Seal-4-good header gaskets and the problem is still there. I checked to make sure the passenger side header is not comming in contact with anything, and it isn't (although it comes pretty close to the starter motor and bell housing.)

i have re-tightened the header bolts, and still smoke. the car was in perfect running condition prior to installing the headers. Is it possible that the heat from the headers is causing grease and oil on the bottom of the engine to heat up to the point of smoking? (the engine is not that dirty...)

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

It is probably oil residue on the headers. I've never had a set of coated headers, but the painted ones smoke until the paint heat cures. Also make sure your valvecover gasket isnt seeping. I have heard that once something cooks onto ceramic, its very difficult to clean.

65ShelbyClone said:
It is probably oil residue on the headers. I've never had a set of coated headers, but the painted ones smoke until the paint heat cures. Also make sure your valvecover gasket isnt seeping. I have heard that once something cooks onto ceramic, its very difficult to clean.

Same here, just residue from the manufacturing process that is burning off. Part of the curing process for the headers.

OH...............and...................Welcome.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

hello4db.gif

Attachments

• hello4db.gif
    hello4db.gif
    7 KB · Views: 120
dont worry about fire.. the smoke will go away when the coating cures. I would also check about any leaking oil, that seems to be the biggest problem. If only 1 side is smoking, i would look at oil or any other leaking liquid.

I don’t know how clean your engine or the compartment is but maybe you got some grease or grime on the header and it is only burning off. If it’s not that and you valve cover gasket doesn’t leak then it should be just the paint curing.