Question regarding T5 interchangeability

2009Saleen

Jan 30, 2022
San Antonio
Hello, I'm new to the forum.

My question is: If I have a T5 transmission from a 1992 or 1993 5.0 Mustang, will that same transmission bolt up in a 1983 5.0 Mustang? Are there any external differences or input shafts etc. that will prevent this from smoothly going together? Thank you in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

With the limited info given, depends.

If the car has an 83 or 92/93 V8 bellhousing, yes. A 4 cylinder bell will not bolt to the 5.0.

If this is a replacement for a T5 that came in the 83. Yes, it will bolt up and everything else should work (driveshaft, clutch, trans mount/crossmember, speedo cable).

If swapping from an auto to manual, follow the swap guides for the details (found elsewhere on this site).

Hello, I'm new to the forum.

My question is: If I have a T5 transmission from a 1992 or 1993 5.0 Mustang, will that same transmission bolt up in a 1983 5.0 Mustang? Are there any external differences or input shafts etc. that will prevent this from smoothly going together? Thank you in advance.
Where did you get your T5 transmission from and how much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking? I've been searching for a replacement T5 for a month or so now and not a ton of great deals out there locally, at least where I'm at. I found this rebuilt T5 for about 1700$ plus free shipping here, https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=T5. My problem is I've never got anything that expensive, let alone a part that is so complex as a transmission online so I am wary about ordering it. If you ordered it from somewhere I'm especially curious about who you dealt with and how your experience was.

I've been searching for a replacement T5 for a month or so now and not a ton of great deals out there locally
Try the wreckers. 94-98 V6 T5 is virtually the same as pre-90 WC 5.0 T5s. I have picked up a few in the last year. Three from V6's (95, 96 and 98). The '98 I sold, the '96 is in my car now, the 95 is sitting in the shop along with a 94 5.0 GT T5 I picked up just before Christmas. Each one cost me just under $200 CDN.

Where did you get your T5 transmission from and how much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking? I've been searching for a replacement T5 for a month or so now and not a ton of great deals out there locally, at least where I'm at. I found this rebuilt T5 for about 1700$ plus free shipping here, https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=T5. My problem is I've never got anything that expensive, let alone a part that is so complex as a transmission online so I am wary about ordering it. If you ordered it from somewhere I'm especially curious about who you dealt with and how your experience was.
For a few hundred more you can get a brand new World Class "Z" T5... A MUCH better way to go

The 94+ t5s will need 94-95 bellhousings. Somewhere in there v6 t5s got electronic spedometers. You may also have to elongate the mount holes in the transmission crossmember for a later t5 to fit. It also pushes it back in the shifter hole. ( not a huge issue ). I can just about rebuild one with my eyes closed now. I've had more luck with 4 cylinder t5 transmissions than any of the v8 ones including a brand new t5z. They are also super cheap and only require a s202 federal mogul pilot bearing ( 82 ford ranger diesel ) to swap directly in. The gear range takes some getting used to though. Only 4th is the same as a v8.

Try the wreckers. 94-98 V6 T5 is virtually the same as pre-90 WC 5.0 T5s. I have picked up a few in the last year. Three from V6's (95, 96 and 98). The '98 I sold, the '96 is in my car now, the 95 is sitting in the shop along with a 94 5.0 GT T5 I picked up just before Christmas. Each one cost me just under $200 CDN.
Do you have a 94/95 bellhousing or did you change the input shaft?

Do you have a 94/95 bellhousing or did you change the input shaft?
I ended up getting a bellhousing from a 95 GT (5.0 cast into bell - V6s have 3.8 cast). Bellhousing, engine plate and clutch fork - $75.

So yes I kept the SN input shaft. After I swap to a 7 tooth speedo gear in the tailshaft of the 94 GT trans, I will put that in and pull the V6 T5.