Questionable alternator...should I upgrade?

My '67 (289) has a stock replacement alternator and voltage regulator. When I'm idling with the lights on, you can see the lights flicker with the rpm. I didn't used to notice it (years ago) but it has gotten pretty bad over the last couple years, maybe since I added the A/C, but I'm really not sure what caused it. The only electrical system upgrades I've added are a cd player with 4 speakers and an aftermarket A/C kit. Do I need to just replace my alternator, or do I need to upgrade to a 100 amp or so?

What is the load limit on the factory replacement alternator?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Alternator upgrade is always a good idea....but that is most likely not your problem....but still a good idea. Sounds like you have a mechanical old style voltage regulator; these do this when they get old. If it’s a larger case....probably a mechanical type. You can get the solid state from any auto parts store. These have a smaller case....actually most places will give that one to you when you buy a replacement anyway. You could try that first and if the problem still exists, I’d replace the alternator with a newer style internal regulator.

Good luck

upgrade....!!! i went with an updated 1 wire and 160 amps. it sounds like your voltage regulator is getting bad, i always had bad luck with those. now that i have upgraded ive noticed ...... easy turn overs, not more dim lights, no light flickers at idle, and my battery now stays full.

Haven't done it yet but I'm going to do a 3G alt upgrade. Do a search and you will find tons of info on the subject.

I did a 3G alternator upgrade on my '70. I LOVE it! It works great and the lights never dim. I like the fact that I'm running a Ford alternator, too. I got mine in a local U pull it junkyard for $25. It was well worth the price!

I highly recommend PA Performance for the wiring kit. Make sure you get the right size wire and fuse to handle the alternator's capacity. You don't want to end up with a fire or anything.