Questions about cutting front coolant ports out of headgasket and need FP vac. line?

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
The first question is, where can I get a new fuel pressure vaccum line? Looks like a "special" hose. Is a dealership the only option? Can I just use any hose to go from the back of the intake to the regulator or does it have to have a certain "air" diameter to the line to show accurate readings? I broke mine reinstalling the engine...

Also, I cut out the two coolant ports on the front of the headgaskets thinking I needed to. I did this on my past headgaskets as well and ran like that for 20k plus with no hint of a problem from that...and I have since found out they are supposed to be blocked...I don't see a problem with it...but does anyone have an explanation to what it might do...:shrug:

Thanks guys/gals:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Any hose should do. All that matters is that the correct pressure is placed on the diaphragm in the FPR, and so long as the hose doesn't collapse it will do fine.

I have no idea about the head gaskets. Never cut mine out before putting them on. If you did it before and didn't have a problem, why would you have a problem this time? As long as you weren't having overheating problems or a coolant leak, I don't see what would be problematic about it.

Chris

FastDriver said:
Any hose should do. All that matters is that the correct pressure is placed on the diaphragm in the FPR, and so long as the hose doesn't collapse it will do fine.

I have no idea about the head gaskets. Never cut mine out before putting them on. If you did it before and didn't have a problem, why would you have a problem this time? As long as you weren't having overheating problems or a coolant leak, I don't see what would be problematic about it.

Chris

On the vac. line...i was just curious because the other vac hose running off by the fp vac. line is a bit thicker in the diameter but goes to a different location.

I do know that removing and putting on the fp vac. line causes the pressure to change on the guage and the car...so I was just thinking maybe the line thickness only allows a certain amount of vaccum to be applied...to provide an accurate reading.

Now, that is my point exactly on the headgaskets. I had overheating issues at idle speeds (the fan don't flow enough)...but I was just curious what else that could do...plus I'm very paranoid about things like that...just a curious question if anyone had a solid reason not to do it.

Thanks for the reply!

Do you happen to have a vacuum gauge? You could test the vacuum on the small hose and the bigger hose and see if it's the same on both - I'd be willing to bet it is. In fact, I could do it. Which bigger hose are you talking about? The one that goes to the vacuum tree distribution block on the firewall?

Here's a picture (not my car - and I didn't write the "back thurre" either lol)
pic.php

#1 and #2 should be the same size hose, #3 is a bigger hose. The only thing to worry about when replacing the hard hoses w/ rubber ones is that the rubber could possibly collapse if enough vacuum is applied. Sounds like a reason to get a cam w/ some overlap, lopey idle and lower vacuum :)

Hes talking about the actual headgaskets.....Im pretty sure there are some ports blocked off, which would make you think you should cut them for coolant to flow through them. As far as I know the headgaskets are like that for a reason, to direct coolant through the block in a specific pattern.....as far as wether or not what your doing is terrible or not, im not sure.....

(sorry off topic....rick where are ya?? I need some help! lol)

88GT17MA said:
Hes talking about the actual headgaskets.....Im pretty sure there are some ports blocked off, which would make you think you should cut them for coolant to flow through them. As far as I know the headgaskets are like that for a reason, to direct coolant through the block in a specific pattern.....as far as wether or not what your doing is terrible or not, im not sure.....

(sorry off topic....rick where are ya?? I need some help! lol)

Trying to get some work done at my day job as you can see..lol :D

[email protected] Did you call Sat night, I say a MA number on the caller Id. I was at a friends wedding and got home late.

I already cut the coolant ports on the intake gasket out. The FEL-1250's and I cut the intake ports out to match the AFR 165's better to the ported lower.

I'm talking about the actual headgaskets. They are blocked for a reason to let the coolant go to the back of the block first and then the front I believe. I had cut them before and ran like that for 20k miles daily...and didn't show any problems from it, just seeing what are the cons of having them cut like I did...

Should be starting up my car today.

James - I'm comparing the FP hose to the other "little" black hose (not the main vac hose that goes to the S on the driverside firewall). The other "little" black hose that runs out of the back of the intake like the FP hose is what I'm talking about. It runs to a little tree of vac. lines on the passenger side...thanks for the help man!

5spd GT said:
James - I'm comparing the FP hose to the other "little" black hose (not the main vac hose that goes to the S on the driverside firewall). The other "little" black hose that runs out of the back of the intake like the FP hose is what I'm talking about. It runs to a little tree of vac. lines on the passenger side...thanks for the help man!
That's kinda what I thought. I looked and mine appear to be the same size (Upper Intake to FPR and Upper Intake to Vac. Tree). Mine broke apart and I just took a broken piece and went to autozone and got some ruber hose that fits snugly over it to patch them back up

Good Luck:nice:

I put the front on the front, that is easy. Headgaskets were fine before and like I said I ran 20,000 miles that way before, will see when I start it up in a couple hours. I'm getting coolant in the block which is what you need;)

Thanks James, I went to the parts store and got some vacuum hose and took the two factory hose ends and peeled back part of the rubber with a razor. The hose slid on perfectly to the "raised" part of the factory hose that was connected to the ends. The hose now looks factory:) Hard to explain...but looks good!

Welp, started up the car tonight. It wasn't idling but for a couple seconds...and we figured out I was out of gas:) Obviously the 1/8-1/4 tank I had evaporated in the time it was down...

A bit of white smoke came out the exhaust (rings)...

I got to look at the pipes during that and put my hand over the exhaust and I'm quite positive that I feel more "push" from the exhaust than before...I didn't know it would be a noticeable difference:s That's good I guess!

Sounds a bit like a sewing machine so I'm going to tear it down to do the valvetrain again and touch up some bolts (tightening) and I should be good to go!

I put some more thought into the head gasket thing. The front ports are stopped in order to push coolant to the back of the block before it comes back out on the top side. Without the head gasket to block the ports you won't get as much flow on the back end of the block. Obviously, you'll still get enough flow to keep everything cool, or you wouldn't have been able to go 20k miles without destroying something. Leave the HGs alone in the future... They're purposefully made that way.

5spd GT said:
I got to look at the pipes during that and put my hand over the exhaust and I'm quite positive that I feel more "push" from the exhaust than before...I didn't know it would be a noticeable difference:s That's good I guess!

How very scientific of you!

Sounds a bit like a sewing machine
That's how it should sound. What you don't want is a clackety-clackety sound..

so I'm going to tear it down to do the valvetrain again and touch up some bolts (tightening) and I should be good to go!

Ok, good luck.

Chris

FastDriver said:
I put some more thought into the head gasket thing. The front ports are stopped in order to push coolant to the back of the block before it comes back out on the top side. Without the head gasket to block the ports you won't get as much flow on the back end of the block. Obviously, you'll still get enough flow to keep everything cool, or you wouldn't have been able to go 20k miles without destroying something. Leave the HGs alone in the future... They're purposefully made that way.

:nice:

Chris - Actually Chris it is not supposed to sound like a sewing machine...I had it much quieter than that before. On the "push" thing...I didn't figure it would be that much more noticeable...problem? On the headgasket theory...yep, I had thought of that. It is the only thing that makes since...I figure coolant is still getting to the back of the block though. Just remember, I'm here and your not...

Yeah Kev, today I'm going to tear it back down and do the valvetrain when has been warmed up and go thru it again. Then put some 93 octane gas in and set the timing/fuel pressure and get out and drive it...I hope to get most of the "little" things done today before I head to my place of work:) See ya later...

5spd GT said:
Chris - Actually Chris it is not supposed to sound like a sewing machine...I had it much quieter than that before.
Ok. I was always told that when the valvetrain is set right, it should be like a sewing machine; you might ask Ed Curtis since he helped me with my valvetrain the first time I adjusted one. Granted, it shouldn't be annoyingly loud...
On the "push" thing...I didn't figure it would be that much more noticeable...problem?
Of course not.
On the headgasket theory...yep, I had thought of that. It is the only thing that makes since...I figure coolant is still getting to the back of the block though.
sounds right to me!
Just remember, I'm here and your not...
I'm not sure what you mean, but I hadn't forgotten. I hope you didn't think I was attacking you or anything, David.

It's cool Chris, I thought you were doing a little picking at me;)

Well the engine is officially done and the car is running. Not one problem whatsoever so far. I have drove it about 15 miles or so and it didn't really take much of a burping or anything...it actually went a little to smooth, makes me nervous:) No leaks or hiccups? Time to break it in...can't wait...hopefully it runs better than before:s