Engine Couple of quick questions about my HVAC box connections

Bottomlesspit

I started the longest tech thread in the known uni
Founding Member
Jan 1, 1999
Del Rio, TX
Hi guys...got another couple of questions about my HVAC box. It is currently completely removed from the passenger side interior. All the goodies are replaced...
For the install I am not sure about 2 things. 1) the vac line that goes thru the box, thru the firewall. Where does it connect in the engine compartment? Single black vac line. The original is just broken off right after coming thru the firewall.
2) the drain for the AC in the box. Is there a piece of hose from the box? If so, does it go thru the floorboard? I have found a round rubber gasket for the floorboard area. I don't see anything that goes from the box to the floorboard.
I would like to get this all reinstalled correctly so any help is greatly appreciated. The way the box was previously installed I didn't find any drain connection. It appeared any drainage would just drip down to the passenger floorboard. Yuk, I know that ain't right!
Thanks,
Ken

• Sponsors (?)

the vacuum hose that goes thru the firewall connects to any vacuum source in engine comp. Yes the drain hose goes thru the floor/firewall to the outside of the car...

Vacuum check valve that HVAC box vac line connects to (line going down on the right). Line going straight right connects to vacuum source (tree or upper intake). Line on left goes to vacuum reservoir in inner fender area (sphere shaped).

Vac checkvalve.jpg

Drain line just protrudes from firewall. No hose or other line connects.

IMG_0244 -B.jpg

In this pic my drain has a plug in it, but it is circled

Awesome help guys. Those pictures are perfect KRUISR!
Do I understand you correctly that the hose is fixed at the firewall and NOT attached to the box anywhere?
Is it where the box just sits in place over that round pad I found?
Thanks again,
Ken

The drain is part of the HVAC box, no hose or extension. Here is a pic I found on eBay.

s-l1600 (4).jpg

Firewall side shown. Can see the drain and foam seal below the A/C lines

Great pix. Now I see what's going on. I guess it's good enough to keep things dry inside. Hopefully have the box rebuilt this weekend. Thanks so much for your kind help.
Ken

Its funny you mention dry inside. A little story. The pic I shared of the firewall shows a plug in the drain. I did not put it there, the previous owner did when they sand blasted the car. I left it there (not knowing it was there) and when I finally got my A/C working I had a couple of occasions when I had water all of sudden splash down on my foot while driving. It took me a couple days to figure out where it came from. It turned out to be condensation from the A/C that pooled up enough in the bottom of the box until it would flow out the lower vents onto my feet.
I then went looking and found the plug. Problem solved.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users