Questions about oil and ticking noise

Stark77

Jun 11, 2008
Tallahassee, FL
First question - just did an oil change, waited about an hour to make sure every drop of oil had made its way out - I change the oil every 1500 miles with Mobil 1 , 10w30 and put in a fresh filter every other change (roughly every 3k miles). I put in 5 quarts, which is what normally tops it off and after a drive my dipstick is showing the oil a little bit above the MAX notch. Is this a prob? Should I let a few oz's of oil out of the pan?

Second question - I have a ticking noise that sounds like it's coming out of my glovebox. There are no loose items in there, or in any compartments in my car. There is no ticking noise on idle OR while in neutral. The ticking noise only occurs when the car is under load / in drive. The ticking noise increases with RPM. Any ideas? Anyone else with this issue? I was thinking a fouled injector, but that should make noise while idling OR while in neutral. Same think with noise lifters/valves I would think. I checked my O2 sensors, and they're firmly threaded in the pipes, so no rattle/ticking from there. Any ideas? Exhaust leak? Toasted exhaust manifold? What would make ticking while in drive, but not in neutral?

• Sponsors (?)

Oil should be ok but can't hurt to drain a bit out to be safe.

Ticking noise....I would guess your passenger manifold gasket too a dump on u. Take a long piece of hose or a mechanics stethascope(sp) and listen around the flange for a leak. Bet thats ur prob.

How long did you wait to check you oil after the car was shut off. Run the car shut it off and immediately check oil. Even if it's just a touch off you should be fine.

As far as the noise goes, if it is an exhaust leak you will hear it in neutral when you rev it up. But it will be most noticed under load. That is prob what it is.

First question - just did an oil change, ... and put in a fresh filter every other change (roughly every 3k miles). I put in 5 quarts, which is what normally tops it off and after a drive my dipstick is showing the oil a little bit above the MAX notch. Is this a prob? Should I let a few oz's of oil out of the pan?

If you didn't change the filter on this oil change, and if it is really only "a little bit above the MAX notch", you're probably ok. Wouldn't hurt to drain out a little bit, but not necessary, no big deal.

About the second question, per svttech76: "REMEMBER... IF YOU HERE TICKING NOISES CHECK YOUR PLUGS RIGHT AWAY... THIS CAN BE THE FIRST WARNING SIGNS OF A BLOWOUT." Good luck.

I don't change the filter because it has normally has about 2000 or 3000 max after 2 oil changes. The oil is still has the dark yellow/light brown/tan color when it comes out after a change, and upon inspection of the filter after removing at 3000 miles, I could easily get away with leaving it on for another 2k or 4k miles. I have several filters, and several 4quart jugs of Mobil1 in the garage, I just don't see it as necessary.

Un-torqued and Re-torqued all spark plugs. Put the car up on the ramps and hit the pipes coming off of the heads with long bar torque wrench and a biiiiig extension. Also did the same with the mid-pipe flanges. No more noises. The problem was definitely an exhaust leak on the right and loose connections on the left (loud rattle when accelerating from dead stop under the drivers seat).

Your car should take 6 quarts of oil, not 5. Ford had a problem with dip-sticks not reading correctly.

99-00 Windsor 4.6's took 5 quarts of oil, 96-98 and 01-04 Romeo's took 6 quarts. I always run a little over in mine (5.25-5.5), so if you are a little above "full" on the dip-stick, don't sweat it.

Should be in your owners manual...:nice:

I don't change the filter because it has normally has about 2000 or 3000 max after 2 oil changes. The oil is still has the dark yellow/light brown/tan color when it comes out after a change, and upon inspection of the filter after removing at 3000 miles, I could easily get away with leaving it on for another 2k or 4k miles. I have several filters, and several 4quart jugs of Mobil1 in the garage, I just don't see it as necessary.

So why bother changing it at all? Most oils, even conventional, are easy good for well past 3K miles. The 3K mile mark for an oil change is mostly marketing.

1500 mile oil changes just seems excessive. If you are concerned with clean oil, perhaps you should send a sample to Blackstone Labs for an oil analysis.

But your $$, and changing the oil too much def won't hurt anything

damn, you change really early. on my volvo i change it every 7500 miles or so, whenever the light comes on, i hit max boost numerous times a day with no worries. when i had the mustang i changed the mobil 1 every 5000 miles even with track days.