Questions on 306/331/347,( about pistons)

I think my Number 8 cyl died on me and im looking for a rebuild. Originally I was gonna swap a Explorer engine in but JPWD40 got me thinking about strokers and rebuilding my engine. Im a poor just-outta-high-school kid so I think a 331/347 is outta my price range. Then I got this idea of buying some nice forged pistons, boring my block .030(.30?) over and have a stock crank, stock rods with forged pistons 306. Then in the future, I could get a stroker crank and rod for a 331 or whatever with those pistons right? Does that work? I made a post in RC's thread but I dont want to hijack it too much. What are some good forged 306 pistons?

• Sponsors (?)

You can NOT use 306 pistons with a 331/347 crank and rods. I like the probe pistons because they have reliefs for inline and TW valves. I'll be using probe srs forged pistons in my 347. A decent 347 rotating assembly is about $1000 including crank, rods, pistons, rings and bearings. Its too cheap.

glenn95gt said:
word to the wise, if you are going to build something, build it right the first time. Save your money and get the kit you want.

ditto...also keep in mind if you gonna have some sort of power adder,whether its gonna be right away or possibly in the future

I like the SRP and Ross pistons from the research I'm currently doing. They are a lot lighter than stock so a balance job IS A MUST if you go with either of these and there is NO question about that. I'd rebalance anything I put in there, but when losing this many grams you have to do it.

306 slugs will have a much bigger compression height than pistons for a 331 or 347. Put them in with a 3.400" crank and 5.315" rods and they'll be sticking out of the engine about 2 inches. It would look pretty damn cool as a lawn ornament or something. :D

Joe

BlueOvalStangGT said:
Yeah well I would if I had the money. And I cant really save it since im out of a car and work 6 days a week. PLUS if I did do a 347 now, it would be with the stock heads :nonono: .

all they are saying is that its the foundation. If you will be using the stock heads, so be it. If you go through the machine work of a 306, then ask yourself if u can save or come up with that extra money for a new crank and rods because you will already be buying new pistons.

Its just stuff to think about. How far down the road do u think u would stroke it?Add up each option and see what you can do. If you can stroke it, great. If you cant, well its still all good :nice: