Quick advice before I put my engine back together

NitroNixon

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2002
D.C. Baby
What does it mean when your upper intake gasket is wet around all the ports. I pulled my upper plenum up the other day and notices that the gasket was really wet. I eliminated the coolant line that runs to the throttlebody 2 years ago so it's not that.

I then took off my oil cap and notice a small amount of milky solution under the cap, so I had assumed that I blew a head gasket. I then pulled my dipstick but didn't notice any milky solution on it, the oil looked clean, becuase I recently changed it.

I pulled the lower intake and the heads to examine the head gasket, but the heads gaskets looked fine and had no noticeable cracks or breaks anywhere.

So my question is did I just blow the lower intake gasket? I ready to put the motor back together but I wanted to get some advice before I do, so I don't have to tear her down again.

Lastly before I tore the engine down, the car was blowing out alot of smoke from the driverside tailpipe and the engine temp would go up and down, and everytime I drive the car, I would loose coolant from my radiator cap.

I replaced the radiator twice and I replace the cap 5 times. What do you think the problem is?

• Sponsors (?)

NitroNixon said:
What does it mean when your upper intake gasket is wet around all the ports. I pulled my upper plenum up the other day and notices that the gasket was really wet. I eliminated the coolant line that runs to the throttlebody 2 years ago so it's not that.

I then took off my oil cap and notice a small amount of milky solution under the cap, so I had assumed that I blew a head gasket. I then pulled my dipstick but didn't notice any milky solution on it, the oil looked clean, becuase I recently changed it.

I pulled the lower intake and the heads to examine the head gasket, but the heads gaskets looked fine and had no noticeable cracks or breaks anywhere.

So my question is did I just blow the lower intake gasket? I ready to put the motor back together but I wanted to get some advice before I do, so I don't have to tear her down again.

Lastly before I tore the engine down, the car was blowing out alot of smoke from the driverside tailpipe and the engine temp would go up and down, and everytime I drive the car, I would loose coolant from my radiator cap.

I replaced the radiator twice and I replace the cap 5 times. What do you think the problem is?

Two types of fluids pass through the upper:
1) Coolant
2) Oil

Since you don't have the coolant lines for the EGR, I am going to say you had oil puddling or soaking through the intake gasket.

I don't have an explaination for your erratic temperatures, except maybe a faulty thermostat or bad W/P...

Well I just wanted to be sure before I put the engine back together tomorrow morning. I currently run the car without a thermostat and the waterpump, radiator, and cap are brand new.

Anymore suggestions?

Thanks

NOOO.....Put that thermostat back in, your car needs one. If your car doesnt have one then the coolant doesnt have enough time to "absorb" the heat from the heads, block, etc. and prob overheat and not be good. I also tried it once and it overheated without mine, I also have wet ports when i took my upper off too. I dont no what is causing it either. As for the temp rising and falling and losing coolant and the smoke, i would want to say a head gasket but u would need to tell more symptons. What color smoke is it blowing out. BTW in the first stage of any car warming up the temp does rise and fall a few times, check it out in a friends car. Start it up cold and drive it and youll see the temp rise till the thermostat opens a little, which will make the temp lower and then it will close back up slightly making it hotter and it keeps repeating it till its full opened up. I watch mine do it all the time with my autometer, not sure if it would work with the stock gauges though. But im sure youre talking about rising and falling all the time which is prob related to whatever ur problem is.