Radar Detectors

Joes95GT

Jan 23, 2003
Delaware
Who's got one? How do you like it?

I just bought a Passport 8500 last night. It's supposed to be pretty good. It detects all these different kind of bands X, K, Ka, and some others, but which band are cops on? Of course I rode around for about 40 miles last night trying to find a cop and couldn't.

I'm going to be driving to my parents beach house in the Outer Banks (North Carolina) this weekend, and would like to know what band the cops are on so I don't have to worry.

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

x is pretty much useless, k and ka are the radar bands that cops use and if a L comes up (laser), your pretty much screwed because you have like .003 seconds to slow down. I have a 80 dollar Whistler or something, imo it works just as good as the 300 dollar ones.

vg2 detection is a radar detector detector detector.....cops use it to see who has a radar detector, and you can see if the cops are using that, if so than most detectors turn themselves off.

donjohn said:
but detectors aren't illegal, only jammers right?
I haven't the slightest clue about jammers. I know detectors are illegal in some states. There probably is more than one, but Virginia is the only one that I know of.

Davins, thanks for the info.

Joe

I believe jammers are illegal everywhere, detectors only in some states.. I got my friends old $40 piece detector for free so I put it in and it's saved me a few times but for the most part you can't rely on em.. I just feel naked driving without it now :shrug:

I'd say 1/10 of the time it saves me.. always lets me know where the nearest bank / grocery store is though!

S/CBlack95GT said:
Id be rich if I had a dollar for every person I stopped for speeding with a radar detector.

Yep me too. Lets have a little lesson on radar. Most modern radar units in patrol cars have a remote to them. So I leave my unit in standby when I really want to stop cars and write tickets. When I see a car I think is speeding I pick it out, estimate his speed (state says I have to) then go from standby to on, and then to lock. In a second I have you locked and it might have had time to beep but by now I already have your speed locked and your screwed. The only time I leave it on is when I want to slow traffic down and want people to know I am out there. Now our highway patrol had vascar which is a speed computer and does not use a signal so you cannot detect it with a radar/laser detector.

2L8ULUZ2 said:
Yep me too. Lets have a little lesson on radar. Most modern radar units in patrol cars have a remote to them. So I leave my unit in standby when I really want to stop cars and write tickets. When I see a car I think is speeding I pick it out, estimate his speed (state says I have to) then go from standby to on, and then to lock. In a second I have you locked and it might have had time to beep but by now I already have your speed locked and your screwed. The only time I leave it on is when I want to slow traffic down and want people to know I am out there. Now our highway patrol had vascar which is a speed computer and does not use a signal so you cannot detect it with a radar/laser detector.
I bought the same radar detector my cousin has and he says he always picks the Cops up atleast half of a mile away. That's good enough for me.

I'm staying off the highway in NC though! :D

Joe

Joes95GT said:
I bought the same radar detector my cousin has and he says he always picks the Cops up atleast half of a mile away. That's good enough for me.

I'm staying off the highway in NC though! :D

Joe

Yea our highway patrol has gone to slick top and striped camaros that are hard to spot. They look like this picture.
gallery_photo12.htm

And then there is the unmarked cars that have tinted windows and are impossible to spot and they look like the one in the middle of this pic.
gallery_photo12.htm

I have the passport 7500, and it worked well for me( picked up cops a good distance away), but I still tried to keep a sharp eye out for cops, and I would only speed when I raced someone, but I don't really do that anymore on the street, so its in my toolbox, I would assume the 8500 is even better.

I have a whistler, did'nt buy it though it was a present. It works ok I guess, but I have had the thing only one year and the on/off button broke. So now I have to unplug/plug at the cig lighter to turn on/off. :mad:

But i'm not complaning since it was free to me. I wouldnt buy another one, thats why I really dont care if the buttons broke or not.

2L8ULUZ2 said:
Yea our highway patrol has gone to slick top and striped camaros that are hard to spot. They look like this picture.
http://www.copcarsonline.com/photos/gallery_photo12.htm[\IMG]

And then there is the unmarked cars that have tinted windows and are impossible to spot and they look like the one in the middle of this pic.
[IMG]http://www.copcarsonline.com/photos/gallery_photo12.htm[\IMG][/QUOTE]Robbie,

Do you know if any of the East Coast NC cops use the laser setup or if they're all still in radar? I'll be coming down Rt. 13 to the Bay Bridge and down into Carolina that way.

Joe

2L8ULUZ2 said:
http://www.copcarsonline.com/photos/gallery_photo12.htm[\IMG]

[IMG]http://www.copcarsonline.com/photos/gallery_photo12.htm[\IMG][/QUOTE]

i think this is what you meant

[img]http://www.copcarsonline.com/images/nchp_camaro1.jpg
nchp_vehicle_lineup.jpg