Radiator Mounting Brackets

Have a 3 core Al. Rad. In my 89 GT. I didn't install the Rad. It came with the car. I haven't had any issues with the Rad, but I was installing a new Alt and power wire upgrade so I loosened the 2 upper Rad. Brackets to route the new power wire and also re route the light and existing Alt wire behind the radiator. The Al. Rad. Is wider on the ends where the bracket clamps down and only half the bracket seems to be touching the Rad. The previous owner had the bracket angled to miss the end and clamp the Rad. just pass the wider end of the Rad. I prefer the bracket to be straight. I don't know the brand of the Rad. The Rad seems secure, but don't need it coming loose. Are there any aftermarket upper Rad. clamps besides the chrome ones I have seen? I have the bolts tight on the clamp, but just would like the clamp to extend over the Rad. Better to ensure a solid fit.

• Sponsors (?)

i use the stock one with my 3 core you may have to trim the rubber on the bottom as well as the top for a better tip but never do away with the rubber inserts

i just went with a nice polished stainless steel piece

ytuna2at.jpg

I have never seen the solid brackets up close. They look nice. Do they wrap the front enough, I can't see how far down they go. Also I have a 3 core and just want to get the right one. The photo madspeed is showing looks like what I would go for. I guess my only concern is how tight the fit would be. I am only looking at the photo, but the 2 bolts holding that large metal bracket only on the ends would be my concern. Is the metal a thicker gauge? It is hard for me to judge by photos, I guess if someone else has tried it and had success that is good enough for me. I need to start replacing my stock parts with a little chrome anyway. I am kicking myself for cheaping out on the Alt., I didn't get in chrome.

Mine is from UPR, they make two sizes, one for stock dimension radiator and one for thicker aftermarket units. I would guess the thickness to be 16 gauge stainless steel, they are pretty nice. The front bolts down to the radiator support using existing threaded holes and the rear i drilled through and used two sheet metal screws into a flange on my 3 core radiator.

I can see where your other 2 screws are now that you mention that. That would definitely hold that down. There is plenty of meat to get a screw in there. I will just make sure that I get the one for an aftermarket Rad. You must also have an elec. fan. I still have the stock equip. you know fan shroud. I will need to get the fan and bracket installed together. Just upgraded my Atl. so I am on my way to making some mods. Thanks for the info.