rag joint where to buy. ford?

• Sponsors (?)

You should be able to go to a local parts store and buy just the rubber disc that had disentigrated, its in the Help! section. Some peolpl have had an easier time then others replacing them. I personally went to the junkyard and found an 86-87ish Cougar that had a steering shaft with a Nylon looking bushing in it, and put that in my car, i found it to not be too difficult. There is one large bolt near the firewall, and two bolts that go through where you rubber bushing should be....and thats really about it.

The biggest problem with changing the shaft is the lack of space, but with a 2.3 its not all that bad

The steering shft can be a little hard to get out, just get some WD-40 or even PB blaster for that top bolt. Then take out the bottom two. You may have to turn the steering wheel, and/or get someone to hold it while you loosen them.
Youll need to get a rubber mallet, or even a regular hammer to pusht he steering shaft up toward the firewall some more to get it disconnected at the end near the steering rack. When that is done, use an open end wrench to pry the shaft back from the firewall and off of the steering column. Once it comes off the hard part is done. And *cue Haynes Manual* Installation is reverse of removal

thanks. it's been a while that i have changed one. think my 67 f150 was the last time i changed one. that was 20 some years ago. not sure where i bought it. think it was under $ 10.00
there is a manual coming in the mail for me should have it any day now.

I just replaced mine a couple of months ago. Napa had a couple of different ones hanging at the end of the parts counter. One said Ford/GM and the other said Domestic. :shrug: I picked the smaller of the two. Cost $8 and had it in in about an hour. It was my first one, but I didn't find it too hard.