Ran myself a new best at Pacific last night.

GotMustangs

May 11, 2003
Tacoma, WA
My new drag radials proved themselves in just one trip to the track. Anyway, here's my new times - mods in sig:

R/T: .077
60': 1.849
330: 5.440
1/8: 8.417
MPH: 82.17
1000: 10.984
1/4: 13.151
MPH: 103.95

I think I may be able to squeeze a little more out of her by pulling the rear and passenger seats, removing the front swaybar, and possibly adding subframes. If that doesn't do it, I may have to get an upper plenum and throttle body. Anyway, do you guys think that it's possible to pull a 12-second slip with close to my current configuration? That is my ultimate goal before I allow myself the go-ahead with a blower. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, I have the 275/50-15 BFG DR's and 205/60-15's (sitting in the garage anyway) mounted on stock '99 V6 wheels. I ran the DR's @ 18 psi, did a 3-4 second burnout, and left the line at about 3750rpm. It launched hard with no spin or bog. If anyone has any suggestions or comments, please bring 'em on. Thanks.

BTW: I shaved 56 pounds by changing from my chrome '03 Cobra wheels to the 15's :jaw: .

• Sponsors (?)

Good times...I'd definitely do the subframes regardless. For the sway bar, you can just take off an endlink first to see if you're ok with it before taking the whole thing off. It will definitely improve weight transfer, and drop weight off the nose of the car -- but at the expense of handling. Those two things may get you the 12-second slip -- you're definitely driving the car very well. Those springs and shocks are not helping at all. As for the seats, my personal feeling is it's not worth it to do things like that unless you plan to keep it that way...it's kinda like one of those Car Craft artciles where they cut the car to pieces just to see how fast it will go without weight, even though you'd never drive it that way.

lamrith said:
Hey what did you think of that snowmobile that was running?? heh pretty sick huh??

That thing was insane! I never did catch his times, what was he running?

89MustangGX said:
Good times...I'd definitely do the subframes regardless. For the sway bar, you can just take off an endlink first to see if you're ok with it before taking the whole thing off. It will definitely improve weight transfer, and drop weight off the nose of the car -- but at the expense of handling. Those two things may get you the 12-second slip -- you're definitely driving the car very well. Those springs and shocks are not helping at all. As for the seats, my personal feeling is it's not worth it to do things like that unless you plan to keep it that way...it's kinda like one of those Car Craft artciles where they cut the car to pieces just to see how fast it will go without weight, even though you'd never drive it that way.

I know the springs and shocks suck for drag use, but it definitely helped my handling and stance. I kinda want a car that does a little bit of everything. You're probably right about the seats. It's a lot of work just for a trip to the track. I may do the swaybar, since I jack the whole car up anyway to change the wheels and tires. I think I could get away w/o a swaybar for the 30-mile drive to Pacific. It should still be driveable since my springs and struts are so stiff anyway. And thanks for the compliment, I'm doing everything I can to be one of the few to get into the 12's without any major mods. :nice:

Darkness said:
Hey man, were you in Portland tonight?

Nope, I was up here at the bar last night. I wanted to go to PIR, but I heard it was gonna rain, so I decided not to chance it. My car has had enough of a beating this weekend anyway. I've never been able to get 13 passes in one night before. That was cool. :D

yeah and that is only the 3rd trip to the track!!! They are still tuning!! I heard on Wed they had traction problems, breaking loose at 200ft. I think I heard him say something about 280hp?? I will have to check on that though..

Tried air up your front tires to like 40-45psi and lower your DR tires pressure to about 14psi,hopefully it will improve your 60's ft time by a tenth or two.
I run about 12 psi on my DR,just don't go less then 10psi. Your car will still be streetable without the front swaybar,it just have more body roll while cornering. It is a lots of work to remove the seats just for one day of racing,how about running only like 1/3 ~1/2 tank of gas on your next visit to the track,a gallon of gas weights around 6 pounds.

Take care.

time only said:
Tried air up your front tires to like 40-45psi and lower your DR tires pressure to about 14psi,hopefully it will improve your 60's ft time by a tenth or two.
I run about 12 psi on my DR,just don't go less then 10psi. Your car will still be streetable without the front swaybar,it just have more body roll while cornering. It is a lots of work to remove the seats just for one day of racing,how about running only like 1/3 ~1/2 tank of gas on your next visit to the track,a gallon of gas weights around 6 pounds.

Take care.

I already did the front tire trick, and I never go to the track with much more than 1/4 tank of gas. The tire pressure I think is what is gonna help me the most. I don't drive to the track w/the DR's on, so I can air them down pretty well when I get there. Thanks for the advice! :nice: