Ran the Car today

allenpark94gt

Aug 3, 2003
allen park
well i went to the track today...
1st run.. I ran a 16.5 at 92.04 mph.....with a 3.8 60' ft..lol....tires didnt catch until 3rd gear....but part of that is that i forgot to let air out of the tires and was running 40 psi....so i dropped the air pressure down to 29.5 psi and this is my 2nd run...

.599....Reaction
2.472....60 ft
6.478...330 ft
9.808.....1/8 mile
74.00....1/8 mi mph
12.663...1000 ft
15.064.....1/4 mi ET
93.75....1/4 mph

i dropped the pressure down to 24 psi after that but it rained so I have to go back next wknd and try to hit 14's.....I'm going to try and advance my timing as well as it is stock right now...what do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

OK, guys please don't flame me for this, but everytime I see a thread comparing the 96-98 and 94-98 GT's the guys in this section say that the 94-95 is faster. But this is like the 5th thread I have seen today where there has been a modded 94-95 GT 5-speed coupe running 15's with less than a 93mph Trap, some have even been like 90mph, I mean, my stock 98 coupe 5-speed ran 14.5-14.6@94-95 with nothing but a air filter and welded flowmasters on street tires, is this just bad drivers or is the the average for these cars?

I run my street tires at 20psi and run 14* with 92 octane gas. Still haven't made it to 14s' yet. But, I don't have too many mods yet and I think elevation may be an issue. Looking into it now. Practice Practice Practice. Get those 60' times down.

984.6- its all about the drivers. A 94-95 coupe with a decent driver is mid to high 14 second car. Most will run between a 14.7-14.9 at 93-94mph stock. My pig convertible ran a 15.2 at 90mph stock with 2.3 60's (I couldn't drive worth a damn back then), but it also weighed OVER 3800lbs!!!

Allenpark- you really need to work on your 60'. Please, for the safety of yourself and others racing against you, if you spin bad enough to not have tractrion into 3rd, or have a 60' that bad... LET OFF THE THROTTLE. You are playing with fire. If I was running against you and you spun that bad and stayed into, you better bet your butt I'd let you know I wasn't happy about it... That being said, what was your launch technique? Are you still running the stock gears? Next time out, leave the line EXACTLY like you would if you were pulling out from a stop light. I garantee you'll run faster that you did and your 60' will fall to a 2.2 or so. You need to get your 60' to at least a 2.1 or better to start seeing what your car is capable of. If your spinning your not moving. With practice there's no reason you shouldn't see at a minimum of 2.1 60's. Good luck, have fun, but don't spin into 3rd anymore PLEASE!!!

Thats cool, I was just wondering. I consider my self a GREAT driver, with an X-Pipe, Mufflers, Pullies and filter I have my 98GT running consistant 13.7-13.8's with 3.27 gears on 17" Nitto Drag radials. My 60's are usually 1.8-1.9, but I have run 13.9's with 2.0+ 60's, just remember guys, the 1st 60ft are the MOST important, if I spin off the line, I just shut down, no need to continue. Here are a few of my slips..
f9b1c893.jpg

And this is what happens when I REALLY hook....
fa415604.jpg

Stump1000 said:
984.6GT, how do you leave the line? Do you ride the clutch taking off? Im suprised that car pulls 1.89 60ft with a 3.27 gear.
I leave at about 4k using the clutch to prevent spin and bog, it takes alot of practice, but the idea, is to keep the front of the car up, but at the same time, not break the tires loose, you want as much foward momentum as possible, bogging can be worse than spinning, once you kill that weight transfer, it is all over, I am sure you guys know how it feels to bog, it is the worst feeling when you take off and the car falls flat on its face, if I had a 5.0 I would try leaving at 3-3.5k, because it has a good amount more low end TQ than my car, good luck guys.

if i tried leaving the line at that rpm i was just have smoke, i tried leaving at 1500 bogged it, and when it caught up it just blew the tires adn when i shifted to second, smoke again, third kinda spun barely but i gotta get better at launching too. I think a lot of it has to do with the low end of the 5.0. I also was running some kumho street tires and when i go back i will have nittos and will burn the snot out of them, and then launch at around 2500 and go from there. I am with killer as well as letting out of it if it just keeps spinning badly, 60 ft time on run was 3.5xxx because i just pushed in the clutch put it in second and lugged down the track

jason

Yea, depending on track prep ect, it can be really hard to launch at the track on a street tires, especially the ones with the treadwear past 300, personally, I have never run at the track on a street tire nor will I ever try, it is just to hard.

I just got a 15.0 at just under 92 the other day at the track. My mods are catback exhaust and a 3.73. I could have hit 14's easy but broke a belt and didn't get to run again. Its all the driver and what kind of tires you are on. I have a full weight convertable and am not the best driver. I got a 2.2 60' on nittos. LOL. Next time Ill lower the tire pressure.

I gotta get me some nitto's too, i have a problem with traction hittin second and third gear. If i held into it i could spin all the way through the lights. I dont understand that. I can make it hook off the line where the track is prepped. I have to shift real easy. I made two passes friday night on street tires
60ft 2.15
1/8 9.39
mph 76.92

Stump1000 said:
i have a problem with traction hittin second and third gear. If i held into it i could spin all the way through the lights. I dont understand that. I can make it hook off the line where the track is prepped. I have to shift real easy.

I had the same thing happen. I ran my car once on street tires when I first put this combo together and to my suprise I hooked like MAD off the line... I had a 1.91 60' on Nangkang 245-50-16 normal street tires, but as soon as I hit 2nd... spin city. It spun so bad that I had to leave off damn near everytime. I will say this, my car was harder to launch when near stock than it is now, and that is due to the way the powerband has shifted I believe. Stock it was EASY to light the tires up just from nailing it, suprisingly with 4.10's and all the stuff I have now, I can get it to hook "sometimes" on those same old normal street tires in 1st on the street. I don't run them anymore though.

I agree ith Paul.
Your 60's are your key and you should practice your runs there first. Lots of peeps go on grudge and burn all the way through the gear box, which nothing good for you or your car. I don't care how much power you have stock or to 500, if you can not plant that power to the ground you are going no where. I have seen strong cars go down to stock cars on straight up drags b/c the car could not hook up.

Know your cars full potential and get use to it and you will run nice consistent times and when you do new mods, you will be able to judge the improvements with old timeslips.
I said this to a many of people that were new at racing and their 60's improved a lot.

Try this.. a couple runs try to just ease out of the gate like you would at a light as if a Trooper was behind you and then turns off at the next street and you have a beautiful straight road no traffic ahead of you, then a ricer pulls up next to you while you are shifting from 1st into 2nd after revving to about 4500 rpms w/o any spinning and wants to race you. Then nail it!!
It worked for me and many others, maybe try and exp. this in 1 or 2 runs and see what may happen.

When I am testing my car, I never even notice the person in the other lane. I will line up on the left side and even if they pass me I don't notice b/c I am focused on the clock, my shift points, and what I doing different on that run not the drag race.
Look at your previous slips and write down notes on the slips and pointers of do' and don'ts from what you learned that day.
Hope this helps you improve your 60's dude. :D

Killercanary said:
Allenpark- you really need to work on your 60'. Please, for the safety of yourself and others racing against you, if you spin bad enough to not have tractrion into 3rd, or have a 60' that bad... LET OFF THE THROTTLE.... ....Good luck, have fun, but don't spin into 3rd anymore PLEASE!!!

:stupid:

I couldn't agree more.

Also, use slicks, they are your friend. You can have all the power in the world, but if you can't get it to the ground then your going nowhere. :spot:

Also at the track, while running street tires, don't wet your tires and there is no need to do a burnout. Spin your tires over a couple times but that is just to clean them off, and as Killercanary has said leave easily off then line and nail it gradually as much as your car will allow without spinning.