Random Help

cleanLX

Founding Member
Jan 17, 2001
Pretty much decided to stick with the 306/E7te combo... and getting ready to put the Mouse back together and, I have some questions.
I might do all of these, and, I might do non of them.

Best bang for the buck 4 lug disk brake setup?
Needs to fit 4 lug 16" ponies, really like to reuse my rear axles.
Don't waste your breath on 5lug or anything other than the factory wheels. Ain't happening.
I see a lot of front kits, and a lot of rear kits, but, seems no one wants to put a package together that works front to back. I read 73mm caliper is good, then I read if you do rear disks, 73mm front is bad. How can that be? Maybe I should just look for a '93 Cobra system... or does than mean I need 17" wheel?
Not going to be a road course car, but, just might try cone dodging. Always wanted to.
Don't intend on being competitive, just want to have some fun.
Then I see guys running good rotors/pads/shoes and reporting good results... which is where I'm at now... maybe just ditch this idea???

Quality and most complete 125-150 shot?
Keeping my Victor EFI intake.
Does not need to be stealth... although that might be neat.
Friend used to run an NX 125 shot that ran like a 175... is their stuff still good or was he magic?

K-members, best fitting and worthy of daily driving and maybe dodging cones.
Not doing coil overs, not going to run fancy shocks, keeping my stock springs with LW 50/50's and 70/30's.
Stick with the factory K? Not sure going to all that expense is worth 50lbs.

• Sponsors (?)

For the brakes I would recommend the Maximum Motorsports brake upgrade kit:

Https://lmr.com/item/MM-BP1/1987-93-Mustang-Brake-Upgrade-Package

I run it on my car along with Stoptech rotors and it's a big improvement over stock.

Being that you want to stay with stock geometry suspension I would stick with the stock K member. You could add a brace to stiffen it up some.

If you're staying with stock springs consider adding the Eibach anti roll kit so it doesn't body roll like a SUV around turns.

I have no experience with nitrous so can't help you there.

MM brake kit, is a big improvement over stock with quality rotors. It's by no means a "performance" upgrade more like "ok I feel much safer now". Not sure pulling the K is worth it if you are not going tubular control arms and coil overs.

Pretty much decided to stick with the 306/E7te combo... and getting ready to put the Mouse back together and, I have some questions.
I might do all of these, and, I might do non of them.

Best bang for the buck 4 lug disk brake setup?
Needs to fit 4 lug 16" ponies, really like to reuse my rear axles.
Don't waste your breath on 5lug or anything other than the factory wheels. Ain't happening.
I see a lot of front kits, and a lot of rear kits, but, seems no one wants to put a package together that works front to back. I read 73mm caliper is good, then I read if you do rear disks, 73mm front is bad. How can that be? Maybe I should just look for a '93 Cobra system... or does than mean I need 17" wheel?
Not going to be a road course car, but, just might try cone dodging. Always wanted to.
Don't intend on being competitive, just want to have some fun.
Then I see guys running good rotors/pads/shoes and reporting good results... which is where I'm at now... maybe just ditch this idea???

Quality and most complete 125-150 shot?
Keeping my Victor EFI intake.
Does not need to be stealth... although that might be neat.
Friend used to run an NX 125 shot that ran like a 175... is their stuff still good or was he magic?

K-members, best fitting and worthy of daily driving and maybe dodging cones.
Not doing coil overs, not going to run fancy shocks, keeping my stock springs with LW 50/50's and 70/30's.
Stick with the factory K? Not sure going to all that expense is worth 50lbs.

Glad to see you putting it back together. I have the NX kit now and I think they are some of the better off the shelf kits from what I researched. However, the more I read, the more I see that induction solutions is probably one of the bigger names out there right now, but they do a lot of plate/fogger stuff. They do have a basic efi kit though. Seems their customer service is top notch and they truly flow their systems and can provide you with a real close tuneup. Not sure if that cost extra.

Joe

The 73mm caliper "upgrade" should not be done period with just rear drums. There isn't a proper MC for that caliper, and increasing the piston side just makes the pedal stroke longer and risk running out of pedal. Without a properly matched MC, there is nothing to gain by switching the front calipers to 73mm units.

If you want 4-lug drums, and want to reuse your stock length axles, the north race car brackets are your only option.

Basically 1993 cobra rear rotors, calipers, but the NRC brackets. Then you can reuse your stock axles.

Up front, leave the stock 60mm calipers. Add SS lines, metal sleeves, and a good set of pads/rotors. Then 1993 cobra MC, booster, appropriate 3-2 conversion, and the e-brake stuff.

16" pony wheels will fit fine. This may still cost you $750-1k.

Reactions: 1 user
I've put tubular k members in four of my cars and yes you shave some weight off but you also gain a large amount of clearance. That in itself has paid off well for me even though I generally have done it for the weight savings :)