Rate my "Beginner's Mod" list!

dkhl

Aug 22, 2004
I've been living with my parents for a lil while and I decided to move out soon as soon as I sell both my mustangs and my Suzuki crotch rocket to redo a 5.0L mustang the way I really want to...

The following is a list of what I consider the most bang for the $$$.. Please feel free to change the order around to what you might think is more important. Keep in mind when I move out I won't be able to repair or fix things as easily so thats why I've put an alarm at the very top.

1. Alarm System - why? I don't need to rebuy parts for the ones that got stolen.
2. Window Tint - this is an absolute must for me, I ****ing hate driving around with no tint, I feel naked somehow.

now for the nitty gritty
3. Sub-Frame Connectors - Why not go for gears first you say? Well I am not a big fan of chassis warp, and this definitely is the most bang for the buck suspension upgrade, handling, performance all increases.. and it only costs me $150 cdn!! :p

4. Gears - I chose these 2nd, will definitely feel like i've kicked it up a notch.. I'm going for deepest gears I can go.. 4.56 gears at the very least. I don't think any other part has the most bang for the buck

5. Shifter - With deeper gears, I need a better shifter.. a nice short shift kit would be nice... definitely worth an investment, big fan of short shifter.

6. Alternator / Pulleys - To reduce drag on the drive belt.. Not much performance gain, but worth it nonetheless..

7. Aluminum Driveshaft - Name says.. will provide some extra power.

8. CD Deck / Mobile DVD Player - I need an form of entertainment or at least a better than stock deck.. :p

9. Clutch - All that extra driveline power and one needs a Centreforce Spec clutch or something nice like that.

10. Springs / Shocks - I need to lower the vehicle 1.5 front / 1.0 rear to give the natural forward flowing motion.

11. Exhaust -- An entire exhaust system isn't really that costly, i'm debating whether i should move this up..

Feel free to offer suggestions on the order or any other good $$$ dollar upgrades... KEep in mind that my only goal is for easy bolt-ons or what not... Any hardcore project like boring/stroking / blowing will come later if at all.

• Sponsors (?)

Wow im not quite sure what to say to that. The first 3 are fine.

1. 4.56 is a very steep gear especially on a 5.0L that with the mods you have will only mkae power to about 5,000rpm. I would go 4.10s and call it a day. Unless you plan on just making this a strip car.

2. I would put pulleys lower on the list, They are hardly gonna give you anything.

3. The aluminum drive shaft i kind of a joke man. You might get about .3hp to the wheels from the lower mass, but nothing you can feel. I wouldnt put that on there unless you have savage drivline vibration problems.

4. Exhaust should switch places with underdrive pulleys. It will actually give you a lot of power if you do headers/X/Catback. And it will make your car sound good.

5. You need to put an intake manifold on that list. For me the biggest gains were from gears= 5 tenths, Xpipe= 2.5 tenths, Edelbrock Performer intake manifold = 4 tenths.

dkhl 4. [B said:
Gears[/B] - I chose these 2nd, will definitely feel like i've kicked it up a notch.. I'm going for deepest gears I can go.. 4.56 gears at the very least. I don't think any other part has the most bang for the buck

What the hell are your crazy. You want the best bang for the buck mods yet you want to put in gears that will destroy your gas milage?? What about future mods if you ever go forced induction then those 4.56 gears will be useless. Id go w/ 3.55's or 3.73's anything deeper then even 4.10s and your just nuts.

1. Gears

2. Shifter

3. Exhuast

4. Pullies

5. Subframes

6. Aftermarket Intake

7. bigger MAF sensor

8.....after this just do what you want.

Do you realize that on your list you have to get to #6 before you get to a mod that gives you any power at all then the next one after that is #11 and theres only 2 mods that give power on that list of 11. Guess your more into sound/ looks then you are w/ power of the car, thats fine but if you dont have deep pockets then you can only take one route for now.

dkhl said:
9. Clutch - All that extra driveline power and one needs a Centreforce Spec clutch or something nice like that.

you wont need a clutch. What do you mean by " all that extra driveline power" your not adding anything to the car that gives it any power but pullies and exuast and thats way below the level of needing a new clutch. Hell my stock cluch held up until I put a blower on it.

You need to do alot of research b/c as it is now you plan on spending alot of money on stuff that you dont need or wont do any bit of good.

striped5.0 beat me to the clutch. i don't see why one would need a new clutch if stock is workin fine. mine is hard as hell but still works so why mess? especially if you're moving out, there's no need to waste any extra money you will spend on rent.

DVD player? waste of money, after that just buy some spinners. A dvd player costs enough money to get a new intake manifold and maybe a tb and maf... 3 things you don't even have on ur list

1. Alarm System (i understand, i'm gonna put in a starter cutoff switch pretty soon- i figure better protection for like $5, nobody listens to alarms anymore)
2. Window Tint
3. CD Deck
4. Exhaust system (headers, midpipe, catback)
5. Gears (3.73-4.10)
5. Shifter (MGW/pro5.0/triax)
6. Under Drive Pulleys
7. Springs
8. Sub-Frame Connectors
15. Aluminum Driveshaft

hope you don't feel like you're getting attacked here, people are cool, u just gotta do your homework before you come and say you wanna buy some rediculous gear like 4.56 for a daily driver... the search button is very useful, just takes some getting used to

I agree with the tint that was the first thing I did to my car.
This is my list and I am on #5
1. tint
2. gears
3. exhaust
4. shifter
5. sub-frames
6. springs & struts and shocks (replace your struts and shocks)
7. clutch
8. drive shaft
9. Pullies
10. CD player
11. alarm
:banana:

#1 should be upper/lower intake!!!!!
Gears - 3:73s or 4:10s max
Exhaust
Shifter
CD Player
Tint
Springs
Sub Frames
Pulleys
Alarm
Clutch/driveshaft/flywheel (might as well do an aluminum flywheel and the drive shaft while you have it all apart)

what about the throttle body and mass air meter?

the top 1-10 list will vary alot depeing on the order but most will all contain the same thing.

You have to tell us what your goals are w/ the car before we just start throwing mods at you. Everyone has priorites on what they want there car to either look like sound like or how it preforms. Take my situation I dident care about much besides getting the car more power. Now Im at the point where I can branch out besides just power. I want to redo my stero system this spring so it sounds nice, nothing over the top to blow the windows out but I want someting thats sweet. Now that my car has a good amount of power I can stray away from that for awhile and get the other things done like the suspension and brakes. You have to figure out your goals for the car and then work on your mod list from there, seems like you just threw together a list that has no order, you have everything from sound, to looks, to slight performance, to suspension. Work on everything in order, if you try to put it together w/ no order it will be very hard.

get back to us when you have an idea of what you want. You didn't even tell us if this is a daily driver or not.

Power route:
1. Gears
2. Exhaust
3. Shifter
4. Intake
5. TB/MAF
6. Heads
7. Cam

Show Route:
1. Tint
2. Wheels
3. CD player
4. Springs
5. Hood
6. Spoiler
7. fresh paint job

Handling route:
1. Springs
2. Subframes
3. Shocks/Struts
4. C/C plates
5. LCA
6. UCA
7. Panhard bar

take your pick of what you want to do. we always like to help, but we need to know what you need help with.

Do as I say, not as I do. I messed up with my beginner's list but I'm correcting it. My situation is a little different since I have an aode, but my list is short and will give you more than the list you provided.

This is what I think:
1. Better Intake
2. Gears 3.73s or 4.10s (you're crazy for 4.56s)
3. FULL Exhaust (l/t, prochamber, flowpath)
4. 3000 Stall (replace with shifter)
5. Aluminum Pulleys (ASP)

These 5 or 4, will give you the most bang for the buck. I don't consider tint a mod but it does give your car a better look. After those, then comes the suspension. I don't know why people keep recommending the TB/MAF if those aren't needed unless you go with heads and cam.

1. Tint (only cause you gotta have it)
2. Shifter - tri-ax or pro 50
3. Full exhaust (not because its the most power... because between these two mods it will feel completely different, way more fun to drive)
4. Gears - 4.10
5. Pullies - ASP Alums
6. Intake manifold - Eddie Perf
7. Throttle Body - 70mm Accufab
8. MAF - 80mm Pro M
9. Sub Frames
10. CD Deck
11. Springs

I put the deck so low because as soon as you get your exhaust done, you will prefer to listen to that then your deck, at least I do!

The performance parts should put you into the 13s with decent tires / driving.

I think alot of guys on here are all about performance (myself included) and that is our priority. i agree that your goals will help us help you.

My list:
Gears
Full exhaust
shocks and springs.
manifold
MAF
pullies
subframes
tints,cd,ect.

As you can clearly see, priorities vary by personal preference and what direction you want take your car.

I'll put my vote in for the top priority, get a cat-back system. Trust me, the a$$ dyno is heavily influenced by a healthy exhaust rumble. And you can get that and a noticable punch in power with a good cat-back.

Any way you go, have fun with it. You'll find some of good info here. And plenty of attitude too.