Real cobra R

• Sponsors (?)

Swarzkopf said:
It's cool, but I'd never buy one. I'd rather have a 2003-2004 Cobra for $40K less that utterly outperforms the R.

Where can I get an 03/04 Cobra for 10k? I'll buy one and fly over right now just point me in the right direction, given its not a salvage. :rolleyes: 40k no 25k yes. Even then stock for stock the 00 R should beat it in the handling aspects. Maybe even straight out performance as well.
I would love to get my hands on a 95 R, I would take one over an 03/04 cobra for sure and probably over a 00 R. I have a soft spot for the 94-95 Cars :D

I am sorry but if I was going to spend that kind of money there is no way I would buy a 03/04 cobra over a 00 Cobra R. A 03/04 Cobra may make more HP but that's about the only thing it does better. A 2000 Cobra R is already a collectors item! Everyone has a 03/04 Cobra now!

the 00 cobra R puts out 385 and the 03-04 cobra only puts out 390... only 5 horse. and if it wasnt a straight line forget it... the cobra R would dominate it in handling. i would take that car over 2 03-04 cobras :nice: :owned:

Didn't mean to make you mad. :rofl:

Am I entitled to an opinion of my own, or do I have to agree with you?

Irregardless, that R on Ebay will probably go for $60K+. You can find 03-04 Cobras for $25K is great shape...so the difference is around $40K.

Even then stock for stock the 00 R should beat it in the handling aspects. Maybe even straight out performance as well.

The R was a disspointment at the drag strip. Magazines got mid-low 13s out of it. They all got high 12s of the 03/04. The 03/04s simply put the power down better and have fatter power bands than the R.

The R outperforms the 03/04 on the roadcourse as it well should, being that the R was specifically sold as a factory race car. The R boasted very impressive skidpad numbers and was able to pull a solid 1G. However, my interest does not lay with road racing, and I'd be much better served by an 03/04- furthermore, I don't leave anything stock, and I don't think you can even buy performance parts for an R. Who would want to modify their $65K investment, anyway?

I am sorry but if I was going to spend that kind of money there is no way I would buy a 03/04 cobra over a 00 Cobra R.

They aren't even close, price wise.

the 00 cobra R puts out 385 and the 03-04 cobra only puts out 390... only 5 horse.

There are other reasons that the 03/04 smokes the R at the dragstrip besides peak horsepower.

Swarzkopf said:
The R was a disspointment at the drag strip. Magazines got mid-low 13s out of it. They all got high 12s of the 03/04. The 03/04s simply put the power down better and have fatter power bands than the R.

Could it be because Ford designed the '00 Cobra R for road racing like they did with the '95 and '93???

Mathulus said:
the 00 cobra R puts out 385 and the 03-04 cobra only puts out 390... only 5 horse. and if it wasnt a straight line forget it... the cobra R would dominate it in handling. i would take that car over 2 03-04 cobras :nice: :owned:

Ford was seriously humble when it comes to the 03+ Cobra's HP rating. Those cars make 360-370 to the wheels from the dyno tests I have seen. They are making closer to 430-440 HP. The Cobra R has a true 385 HP from what I have heard. I have never seen a dyno test from one though.

You can mod those care check out the R boards on svtperformance people mod their R's and take them to the track like they were made for. I know you have your opinion and I have mine of your so what. They are both incredible machines. Oh, and 50k for an 00 R is a little high imo from ones I have seen the last few months on ebay.

Swarzkopf said:
I don't leave anything stock, and I don't think you can even buy performance parts for an R. Who would want to modify their $65K investment, anyway?

Apparently the 00 R is a 12 sec car also FYI.
svtperformance.com R section FAQ said:
Q: How fast was the 00R in the ¼ mile? A: Magazine tests of stock 00R’s were in the range of 12.7-13.2 One forum member reports an 11.80!(Mods?) The R was designed more for road racing that drag racing, but less weight and more power don’t hurt ¼ mile times.

Could it be because Ford designed the '00 Cobra R for road racing like they did with the '95 and '93???

I know the R was made for road racing, and referenced that fact several times in my posts.

I don't care why the R is slower than the 03/04 on the drag strip- I like drag racing. I like the factory FI. I like the 03/04 Cobra better. I'm starting to wish I wouldn't have mentioned it. :lol: