rear axle swap

N242

Aug 13, 2006
hi
i have mustang 67 with 8 inch ford rear axle
i want to remove this axle and install axle from 96 explorer (8.8 31 splin)

i checked the lenght and the explorer longer in half inch . but i have alot of space in my wheel hose.

the reason that i wanted to do it is the explorer axle have rear diskbraks ' 3.73 ring and pinion and lsd

the tag no on the explorer rear axle is
s613b
l73 886AoB

so what r u thinking about this swap ?
someone did it ?

• Sponsors (?)

FYI--IIRC, there's also an offset on the Explorer rear that has to be accounted for via having the axle modified. I began looking into it a while back, but got sidetracked by family issues. The rears are plentiful, though, if you decide to go for it.

i have been reading about 8.8 swaps in early mustangs
in 65-66 i see that thay cutting the axle and moving the pinion to the center
but in 67-70 the rear end is longer than 65 ' so i dont know if i need to cut .
in the other hand some people write that the driveshat Touching in the body .
i know that alot of people did it but i do not found teach guide that show the swap step by step .
so if some one did it here (swap in 67-70) and can write what i need to do it will help me .

thanks

no need to cut, the car will be fine with the offset pumkin...

and it's not a lot of work either....having rear disc brakes is priceless....my 4 wheel drum brakes can't even begin to keep up with my mild 321 horse engine....

for my rear I went with the afco leaf perches....summitt racing $11 each....3" by 2.5 wide...I tried the summit brand perches and they were complete junk....cracking and splitting on all the corners.

I hope to get the perches welded by end of next week or so..>I've just got to finish taking my measurements and decide on my pinion angle.