Suspension Rear control arm bushings

mstang95

5 Year Member
May 6, 2018
Pennsylvania
1995 V6. On RockAuto, it only shows a "rear upper to axle" bushing. My car failed inspection for the rear control arm bushings. How many are there? What are they called? Where can I find them? Anybody know? Thank you!!

• Sponsors (?)

1995 V6. On RockAuto, it only shows a "rear upper to axle" bushing. My car failed inspection for the rear control arm bushings. How many are there? What are they called? Where can I find them? Anybody know? Thank you!!

Seriously??

Jesus. Well.. just so you know.. that's not a fun project. You will need a special tool to press them into the pumpkin.. you can buy it on Maximum Motorsports website.. it's basically a giant steel cup that must be then threaded and you take a 1/2" ratchet and tighten them in... that's if you know how to get them out to begin with.. which can be even trickier.. or you can just take a sawzall to them and cut them out.. just be careful lol.

I've done it a few times, have the tool, and wouldn't ever bother trying again without that $50 tool, or whatever it cost these days. Also, NEVER buy poly upper bushings. ALWAYS replace with factory rubber.

Seriously??

Jesus. Well.. just so you know.. that's not a fun project. You will need a special tool to press them into the pumpkin.. you can buy it on Maximum Motorsports website.. it's basically a giant steel cup that must be then threaded and you take a 1/2" ratchet and tighten them in... that's if you know how to get them out to begin with.. which can be even trickier.. or you can just take a sawzall to them and cut them out.. just be careful lol.

I've done it a few times, have the tool, and wouldn't ever bother trying again without that $50 tool, or whatever it cost these days. Also, NEVER buy poly upper bushings. ALWAYS replace with factory rubber.

I didn't know there was a tool for that. Hmm. I always just beat them in with a hammer. I always took them out with the drill bit method, and then burned out the rest.

Kurt

I am kind of lazy and would purchase new aftermarket control arms with the bushings already installed....

I have had serious difficulties with MAC control arm bushings in the past. They would fall apart inside the control arm. The end result would be a steel sleeve inside the control arm housing bouncing around. Anyone else experience these turds? I have a new set and i am afraid to install them with those junk bushings.....Long story research bushings and control arms before replacing them if you go aftermarket.

I am kind of lazy and would purchase new aftermarket control arms with the bushings already installed....

I have had serious difficulties with MAC control arm bushings in the past. They would fall apart inside the control arm. The end result would be a steel sleeve inside the control arm housing bouncing around. Anyone else experience these turds? I have a new set and i am afraid to install them with those junk bushings.....Long story research bushings and control arms before replacing them if you go aftermarket.

He is talking about the bushings that press into the upper portion of the rear end.

And yes.. MAC is trash.. lol. Stick to Max Motorsports or Griggs or Team Z.

He is talking about the bushings that press into the upper portion of the rear end.

And yes.. MAC is trash.. lol. Stick to Max Motorsports or Griggs or Team Z.

It's a sad story there. 25 years ago, Mac was the :poo:. I mean it was still :poo:, but they produced results, and we would all deal with the hassle of their trash bushings to get results. Mac is stuck in the past, and hasn't updated anything they sell in a quarter century. It's sad they they are able to still sell stuff on the name they built over 2 decades ago.

Kurt

Its been awhile seen replacing control arms. I knew he was referring to the bushings in the axle, but wanted to chime in on replacing the other bushings as well. It is such a miserable job for me to replace control arms. Maybe my poor attitude is due to lack luster bushings and multiple replacement jobs on the same car?? My thoughts if one is bad the others probably are not too far behind. I would replace all the bushings while its out and maybe upgrade to new control arms.

I am really sad the mac control arm bushings a junk. I had a lot of faith in the brand.

Its been awhile seen replacing control arms. I knew he was referring to the bushings in the axle, but wanted to chime in on replacing the other bushings as well. It is such a miserable job for me to replace control arms. Maybe my poor attitude is due to lack luster bushings and multiple replacement jobs on the same car?? My thoughts if one is bad the others probably are not too far behind. I would replace all the bushings while its out and maybe upgrade to new control arms.

I am really sad the mac control arm bushings a junk. I had a lot of faith in the brand.

Yeah, mac and bbk and a few others really haven't done much in the past 20 years.. they are literally selling the same :poo: as before, and people still look at the name and think "oh, it's steeda".. or whatever.. and it's crap..

All you need to do is compare Max. Motorsports/Team Z/Griggs and look at how their LCA's (well the good ones) have spherical bushings.. this allows the car to articulate around them while they stay planted.. in most everything else (well worth the extra $100 believe me) they are solid bushings, so when you corner or launch, and the car/axle twist, so do they.. which means your tires aren't able to stay on the ground/planted.

I think the MM extreme LCA's are down to like 299? Ish.. lol.. I don't even know how those other :poo: companies are even still in business.. yikes..

Anyways, believe me when I say, never go cheap on your suspension stuff. It's wellllll worth the few extra bucks.. Yes it'll add up over time, but it'll also probably save your life and/or wrecking your car someday, too.. which has happened to me plenty of times in this new one.. holy crap it handles soo much better than any of my previous 11 lol. But then again, this is the furthest i've gone.. worth every cent.

Reactions: 1 user