Brakes Rear disc conversion - e brake question

silverlx50

15 Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
I installed the rear disc kit from North Race Cars and have to finish up the e brake. Does anyone have a picture of how they drilled the e brake into the adjuster as described in the instructions as pinning the handle?

1. We then pin the handle. There is a hole on the passenger side of the handle and we drill it bigger and drill a hole in the pull part of the handle so that when the handle is down there is no tension on the cables.

• Sponsors (?)

The hole is number 1 on this pic.

You want to release the lever ( near number 3 ) so the notches rotate counter clockwise ( number 2 ) until you can put something through the hole ( number 1 ) to lock it in place and keep the spring from forcing it back clockwise. It can be a little complicated.

What you are trying to do is get the cable to come out the bottom of the car as far as possible.

Screenshot_20220113-001439_Chrome.jpg

When you push the handle button it releases at number 3. It can be a PITA to turn the assemble counter clockwise. It's easier if you have someone under the car pulling on the cable while you press the handle button and try to stick a small screwdriver through the hole at ( 1 ) and the hole in the black metal part that the actual handle is connected to. I don't know what or why they are saying to drill the hole larger. I don't think I've ever done that.

It's like releasing a ratchet strap that has spring tension on it. If you have someone press the button on the handle you should be able to connect the cables under the car by pulling it.

The technique I use is to install the T bracket on the short cable coming from handle. Then I place vice grips or pliers around the short cable behind the bracket. Not on the cable but around it. Pliers can damage the cable. Have someone push the handle button and pull the pliers, bracket, and cable towards the back of the car. It should give you enough room to get the cables coming from the calipers inside the bracket.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user
So they are asking you to pin the adjuster mechanism permanently?

There is a small bracket that makes the job much easier. It locks the adjuster in place and best of all, you can remove it later to adjust tension.

Local Ford dealer might have it, or Amazon

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
The hole is number 1 on this pic.

You want to release the lever ( near number 3 ) so the notches rotate counter clockwise ( number 2 ) until you can put something through the hole ( number 1 ) to lock it in place and keep the spring from forcing it back clockwise. It can be a little complicated.

What you are trying to do is get the cable to come out the bottom of the car as far as possible.

Screenshot_20220113-001439_Chrome.jpg

When you push the handle button it releases at number 3. It can be a PITA to turn the assemble counter clockwise. It's easier if you have someone under the car pulling on the cable while you press the handle button and try to stick a small screwdriver through the hole at ( 1 ) and the hole in the black metal part that the actual handle is connected to. I don't know what or why they are saying to drill the hole larger. I don't think I've ever done that.

It's like releasing a ratchet strap that has spring tension on it. If you have someone press the button on the handle you should be able to connect the cables under the car by pulling it.

The technique I use is to install the T bracket on the short cable coming from handle. Then I place vice grips or pliers around the short cable behind the bracket. Not on the cable but around it. Pliers can damage the cable. Have someone push the handle button and pull the pliers, bracket, and cable towards the back of the car. It should give you enough room to get the cables coming from the calipers inside the bracket.
This is great, thanks. I'll give it a shot.

There is a small bracket that makes the job much easier. It locks the adjuster in place and best of all, you can remove it later to adjust tension.

BADASS THANKS!!!

So this basically puts the adjuster in a fixed tooth position whether e brake on or off correct?

Correct. It locks the adjuster in place. It’s the same as pinning, or welding it, except this is bolt on and can be removed to be adjusted if needed
I finished up and added this bracket. I did attach the rear bolt of the e brake handle on top of that bracket it normally sits under and used a large washer where it was originally. This gave the rear a little hight to make the handle sit closer to level when in the down position. Thanks for the input!