rear end gearing

• Sponsors (?)

if no tag then, put it in neutral, jack up rear end. spin one tire one complete rotation while watching the driveshaft flange or drive shaft and count how many times it goes around.

ex: one tire rotation and 3.75 spins on the flange is more than likely 3.73's

if no tag then, put it in neutral, jack up rear end. spin one tire one complete rotation while watching the driveshaft flange or drive shaft and count how many times it goes around.

ex: one tire rotation and 3.75 spins on the flange is more than likely 3.73's
I don't think that will work well trying to decipher the "transmission's" gearing:shrug:

I don't think that will work well trying to decipher the "transmission's" gearing:shrug:

title says rear end gearing and his first post just describes his car as a 93 mustang with an AOD and 5.0. AOD makes a difference as they came with different rear end gearing that a 93 mustang t-5 and 5.0.

At least that is how I understood it. I apologize if I am wrong though.

title says rear end gearing and his first post just describes his car as a 93 mustang with an AOD and 5.0. AOD makes a difference as they came with different rear end gearing that a 93 mustang t-5 and 5.0.

I understand now that I read it that way.

AOD makes a difference as they came with different rear end gearing that a 93 mustang t-5 and 5.0.

your wrong. but partially right.

right due to the fact aod cars had the availability of 3.27's

but either can have 2.73 and i have never seen a 3.08 aod, i believe they were available, but for the same price you could get 3.27

fyi 3.08 was the "performance" gear offered for a t5 fox lol

i guess the slushbox aods needed something to enhance the performance. any idea of how popular the 3.27 upgrade was?

theres a decent amount of them. if the car was on the lot cuz the dealer ordered it theres a good chance it has 3.27

i got my '90 GT new and it had it cuz it was on the lot. but i think my 7-up car only had 2.73 , it was swapped to 3.73 b4 i got it , but again, most of those were ordered privately and people had no idea how poorly geared the AOD is

I've honestly never had a vehicle more poorly geared my my aod mustang. I used to have a 91 w/ the T5 and that was terriffic to drive, fun and squirly if you want it to be. But the AOD is boring. The 3.27 would make a huge different in the fun factor. However when I upgrade the rear, ill be going to a 3.55 sooo i guess it really doesnt matter in the long run...

This is probably the easiest way to measure your rearend ratio, as it doesn't require removing the differential cover. Jack up the rear end of the car (so that both rear tires are off the ground) and make a mark (or pick a spot) on both the driveshaft and a rear tire. With the transmission in neutral, spin the tire by hand through one rotation, and count the number of times the driveshaft turns. The number of driveshaft rotations is your rearend ratio. (For example, if the driveshaft turns about three and a half times, the ratio is probably 3.55. If its almost three and a quarter, the ratio is probably 3.21. Almost four times, 3.91s, etc.

Note: The procedure above applies if you have a Sure Grip (limited slip) differential or a locker. If you have an open differential, the procedure is the same, but you will need to spin the tire through two rotations instead of just one.