• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Rear End help

  • Thread starter Thread starter sj9ers
  • Start date Start date May 11, 2008
S

sj9ers

Member
May 19, 2007
71
0
7
May 11, 2008
#1
  • May 11, 2008
  • #1
I was reading this article on swapping a fox body rear end into a 1967 or 1968 Mustang and was wondering how I would do this for a 66?
Thanks
 

Fast63

New Member
Sep 20, 2007
717
0
0
May 11, 2008
#2
  • May 11, 2008
  • #2
probably the exact same modifications identified in your article, except you would probably need to shorten the rearend, if they don't suggest it already, but I can't really say.

Why do you want to do this swap? If you have an 8 inch rear already in it, they are plenty strong, and MUCH easier to swap gears in. If you don't have an 8 inch already, I would suggest getting one, or even a 9 inch, over the 8.8 that comes in the foxes.
 
S

sj9ers

Member
May 19, 2007
71
0
7
May 11, 2008
#3
  • May 11, 2008
  • #3
Right now I'm doing a 6 cyl to 8 conversion and was just looking for something I could put in and I was thinking about using an 8.8 posi that is for sale from a guy I know.
 

Rusty67

20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 3, 2002
3,749
37
109
LA, CA
May 12, 2008
#4
  • May 12, 2008
  • #4
If its a fox setup you will need new axles to get the 5 lug and if you shorten the housing you will need new axles anyways. The 8.8 is an easier swap for the 67 and up cars since the axle is about the right length for them. A donor 8.8 is however an EASY way to get posi and there are TONS of parts available for them.
 
N

nugget68

Member
Sep 26, 2005
362
3
19
May 12, 2008
#5
  • May 12, 2008
  • #5
I have a queston on this topic...I actually just scored a free 8.8 out of a fox body. I also have an 8.8 out of a 2001 ranger edge that is basically the same as the explorer, but with drums. the ranger rear has 31 splines and 4.10 trac lok. can I use the short axle off of the ranger and drums, also the gears and trak lock? if so i guess all I need is the other side 31 spline axle? I havent picked up the fox rear yet so I dont have them side by side for comparison, thats why I ask...
 

Rusty67

20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 3, 2002
3,749
37
109
LA, CA
May 12, 2008
#6
  • May 12, 2008
  • #6
Not sure on that one. Might want to ask in 5.0 Tech.
 
6

66Runt

Member
Jun 11, 2005
680
2
18
May 12, 2008
#7
  • May 12, 2008
  • #7
I did a Fox swap into my '66 (information for the swap on the webpage in my signature). It's perfect if you want to run SN95 wheels (basically 5.72" back spacing).
As Rusty said, it's an inch wider than stock. So the other option is to narrow it 1" each side, and run stock backspacing.

Nugget68, it depends on which Ranger rear end you have. If it's the right one, the long axle (left side) is the correct length, and definitely the 31 spline trac-lok is a scoring good deal. It will swap straight into the Fox with a set of 31 spline axles. So you *may* just need one new left side Ranger axle to complete the swap.
Good luck to both of you.
 
S

sj9ers

Member
May 19, 2007
71
0
7
May 13, 2008
#8
  • May 13, 2008
  • #8
66runt, I was reading your write up and was wondering if you narrowed the axles by 1" on each side? Or is your rear axle length non stock?
 
6

66Runt

Member
Jun 11, 2005
680
2
18
May 13, 2008
#9
  • May 13, 2008
  • #9
The rear end in this car is the stock Fox width.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

G
Auto City Classics 67-70 Mustang disc brake kit question/s
  • GOvert
  • Jun 30, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
0
Views
103
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jun 30, 2026
GOvert
G
J
Mustang 1968 coupé restoration hvac
  • JackStang68
  • Mar 3, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
176
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Mar 27, 2026
zookeeper
S
Best place to source power steering parts for a '67? (control valve, ram, hoses)
  • SophiaTatum
  • Jun 15, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
2
Views
144
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Jun 18, 2026
SophiaTatum
S
S
Brakes 80 Mustang 4.2 rear chassis brake line for 5 lug conversion!
  • StangPowerLSX510
  • Aug 6, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
132
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 9, 2026
limp
N
Trying to locate 1968 Mustang
  • Newton
  • Jul 1, 2026
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
0
Views
93
The Welcome Wagon Jul 1, 2026
Newton
N
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?