Rear end on 1996 mustang gt

lsubadboy

Oct 19, 2004
Yes I have a 1996 mustang gt and I’m wanting to change my rear end out will any thing from 99-04 fit mine with out doing any modifications I think mine come stock with 273 does any of the newer mustangs years from 99-04 if they will fit mine did they beef up the rear end any someone that really knows about mustangs help me please

• Sponsors (?)

Try this. Go to car-part.com and search for the part in question. Look at the other model years and "applications" that interchange From a salvage yard's point of view "interchange" means about as close to "plug and play" as it gets.

If looking for an opinion, why aren't you just considering rebuilding the part that you already have? Once rebuilt (correctly) it's as good as new. And it's a sure to fit your car.

Besides, I think it's short sighted to purchase a salvage yard rear end and not rebuild it.
  • It's much easier to rebuild a rear end out of the car.
  • A rebuild kit is not all that expensive.
  • the history of a salvage yard part is an unknown.
  • If you don't feel good about rebuilding a rear end yourself, I suspect it would be easy to find someone to do it for you as a "bench" job. This allows you to save some $$'s doing the removal and install yourself.

Last edited:
In 1999, Ford widened the 8.8 houses by 1.5" and changed the LCA mounting bolts from 12mm to 14mm. So no, it's not a direct bolt on and will push your wheels out approximately 0.75" each side.

It's not any stronger than your current rear